This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1715 / 51°10'17"N
Longitude: -2.1195 / 2°7'10"W
OS Eastings: 391744
OS Northings: 141365
OS Grid: ST917413
Mapcode National: GBR 1VN.JZ5
Mapcode Global: VH97Q.6TWB
Entry Name: 188
Listing Date: 1 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036376
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313326
Location: Heytesbury, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Heytesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Heytesbury with Tytherington and Knook St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
HEYTESBURY TYTHERINGTON VILLAGE
ST 94 SW
4/105 No. 188
Three semi-detached cottages, now one house. Early C17, rebuilt
and refronted 1747. 'L'-plan; main range has through passage to
left of central stack. Timber-framing, refronted in rubble stone,
thatched roof, brick stacks. Two storey, 4-windowed; casements.
Planked door in gabled porch to left of centre, C19 three-light
casement to left and two to right. First floor has four 3-light
casements and datestone incised with TE/1747 to left of door.
Right and left returns rendered, right return of C17 single storey
timber-framed extension has 3-light casement to ground floor and 2-
light casement to eyebrow dormer. Rear of main range has planked
door to left, two C20 casements to right, wall plate with mortices
on soffit, of former timber-framed wall is retained above rubble
stone facing. Extension is also partly rebuilt in stone with
planked door and 2-light casements to eyebrow dormers, rear gable
has pair of diagonally-set brick stacks, coped verge.
Interior has deeply chamfered beams with stepped stops; west beam
on stone corbel in passage, wing has beam with narrower chamfers
and ogee stops, blocked open fireplaces, planked doors with strap
hinges, roof not accessible but said to be intact. This house
represents an unusual survival of the through passage plan in this
area; the hall was to the right of the passage, separated by a
rubble stone wall which supports the main stack of the now blocked
open fireplace backing onto the passage, services were to the left
of the passage and additional accommodation was provided by the
square timber-framed extension in later C17.
Listing NGR: ST9174441365
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings