This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9751 / 51°58'30"N
Longitude: 1.1563 / 1°9'22"E
OS Eastings: 616875
OS Northings: 235439
OS Grid: TM168354
Mapcode National: GBR TNV.554
Mapcode Global: VHLC6.0M38
Entry Name: Superintendants House, Royal Hospital School
Listing Date: 23 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036881
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277473
Location: Holbrook, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9
Civil Parish: Holbrook
Built-Up Area: Holbrook
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Holbrook All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 13 NE HOLBROOK STUTTON ROAD
2/98 Superintendant's House,
Royal Hospital School
House. Circa 1925-33. Buckland and Heywood. Red brick in Flemish bond with darker
brick dressings, stone dressings, hipped dark red plain tiled roof. Principal
(north) facade. 2 storeys and attic, 5 symmetrical bays. Moulded stone cornice,
below which is simple brick band, above which walling continues c5 courses, to eaves
level of roof. Stacks to left and right forming feature of east and west fronts
and to left and rear of ridge. Central stone doorcase with open segmental pediment.
Pilasters with stylizes acanthus capitals. Broken entablature, containing cartouche
beneath the pediment, bearing the initials RHS. Bolection moulded door surround,
to glazed panelled door, presumably replaced. First floor window above, also in
moulded stone surround sits on head of pediment and is flanked by scrolled consoles.
To left and right of door, small vertical lights divided in two horizontally.
Horned sashes with glazing bars to all windows but 4th bay which contains glazed
door, beneath overlight. First floor horned sashes with glazing bars, that to centre
bay 3 x 5 panes whilst the remainder are of 3 x 4 panes, and the 5th bay has a
mullioned casement window of 4 x 4 panes, of larger size than the sashes, but
apparently original. Flat arches to windows, and flush surrounds picked out in
darker brickwork, which also continues as a vertical feature between ground and
upper floor windows, and forms apron-like feature to ground and first floor windows.
Five small paned casement full dormer windows beneath hipped tiled roofs. Garden
(south) facade in 3 symmetrical bays, that to centre breaking forward. 2 storeys
and attic, with cornice similarly arranged as north front. Pedimented stone door-
case with simple pilasters, very deep entablature and small pediment. Small paned
glazed door as north front set in deep flat stone surround. To left and right,
brick canted bays with stone cornices containing horned sashes with glazing bars
and surmounted by iron balconies. Three first floor horned sashes with glazing
bars, with darker brick flush surrounds and flat arches. Central dormer a tripartite
casement beneath hipped roof. Flanked by stone urns with finials and connecting
iron balcony, set upon the cornice. Left and right 2 small paned casement dormer
windows with hipped roofs. Stack to front of roof between 1st and 2nd bays.
Attached single storey service wing and garage, with verandah to garden front, to
left, and single storey hipped roofed bay to right, which forms part of east facade.
Listing NGR: TM1687535439
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings