History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grange Farmhouse grange Farmhouse Including Mounting Steps and Area Walls to North and South

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheddleton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.067 / 53°4'1"N

Longitude: -2.0416 / 2°2'29"W

OS Eastings: 397309

OS Northings: 352190

OS Grid: SJ973521

Mapcode National: GBR 252.LNJ

Mapcode Global: WHBCP.M50N

Entry Name: Grange Farmhouse grange Farmhouse Including Mounting Steps and Area Walls to North and South

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Last Amended: 19 July 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274540

Location: Cheddleton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Cheddleton

Built-Up Area: Cheddleton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Cheddleton St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SJ 9652-9752
(east side)
Grange Farmhouse
- II

The entry shall be amended to read:

(east side)
1798-0/13/50 Grange Fannhouse including
03.01.67 mounting steps and area walls to
N. and S.


House. 1499, remodelled 1692-7 [dendro-dates]; extended C18 and altered circa late C19.
Coursed, dressed and squared sandstone. Plain clay tile roofs with stone-coped gable-ends with
kneelers and ball-finials. Stone axial stack with chamfered shafts, stone gable-end stack to rear
wing. PLAN: 3-room plan, low-end to the left [west]; hall with an axial stack at the high-end
with a lobby entrance in front; a parlour at the right end with a wing on the front and another
wing behind the left [service] end with an outshut on its left side. The 1499 hall was open to
the roof the smoke-hood at the high end is probably a later insertion while the hall was still
open; the low [service] end was unheated and possibly also open to the roof; the hall was
floored in circa 1692-7, at which time the house was remodelled and largely rebuilt in stone,
including the parlour and chamber above with fireplaces in a stack backing onto the hall's
smoke-hood. The wing behind the service end is probably C18 and its outshut on the side and
the wing in front of the parlour are probably C19 additions. EXTERIOR: Single-storey and
attic. Asymmetrical 4-window south front with cavetto-moulded stringcourse stepped over two
4-light chamfered stone mullion windows to left, chamfered doorway to right of centre with
plank door, small window above to right and gable-ended wing projecting on right; on left two
C19 ashlar gabled dormers with ball-finials. Right-hand gable-end has stone mullion windows
and stringcourse which continues on the rear where there are stone mullion windows and a
gable-ended wing on right with an outshut on the right side. INTERIOR: Service room at
west end has chamfered cross-beams; parlour on east end has a chamfered axial beam. Hall has
large fireplace with huge chamfered timber bressumer with broach stops [deep inner chamfer
also with broach stops]; inserted floor with cyma-and-fillet moulded axial beams with hollow
stops and stop-chamfered joists; scratch-moulded plank and muntin screen at low end of hall
against tie-beam of cruck-truss which has evidence of head of shouldered arch doorway. The
full-cruck-truss has a small yoke at the apex, it is a closed truss with smoke-blackening on the
hall side only, the original infill survives, the collar is halved onto the cruck blades and the
purlins are trenched into the backs of the blades and packing-pieces and spurs. The
timber-framed fire-hood is visible at the other end of the hall chamber. The parlour chamber
has a small chamfered stone fireplace. Heavy wooden door-frame from hall chamber to parlour
chamber. Stop-chamfered ceiling beam in rear wing. C18 and C19 joinery and details missing.
INCLUDING circa C19 stone rubble garden area wall in front and small back yard wall at rear,
both with plain stone coping and small monolithic stone gate-posts, the front wall with stone
mounting steps against a gate-post. SOURCES: Nottingham University Tree-ring Dating
Laboratory; dendro sample, 1995.


SJ 9652-9752
(east side)
13/50 Grange Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse. C17 with mid-C19 alterations. Coursed dressed and squared
sandstone; tiled roofs; verge parapets on corbelled kneelers and with
ball finials; ashlar ridge stack to right of centre, over entrance;
inverted S-shaped plan. Low single-storey and attic, 4-window front,
main part to left with string at first-floor level stepped over ground-
floor openings; 2 windows to left: gabled dormers to attic over
4-light chamfered mullioned ground-floor windows, further small window
set below eaves against right-hand return; entrance with chamfered
reveal to right, and part-glazed C19 door, lower projecting gabled
wing to right-hand end, probably C19 with C20 casement to attic floor
and 3-light chamfered mullioned window to left-hand return, possibly
re-used. Further range of mullioned windows to east gable in 3:3:4-
light configuration and to rear.

Listing NGR: SJ9730952190

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.