This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4447 / 51°26'40"N
Longitude: 0.3716 / 0°22'17"E
OS Eastings: 564911
OS Northings: 174411
OS Grid: TQ649744
Mapcode National: GBR NMK.BS0
Mapcode Global: VHJLC.DYBD
Entry Name: St Andrew's Arts Centre
Listing Date: 3 July 1975
Last Amended: 21 December 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039109
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356417
Location: Gravesham, Kent, DA12
Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside
Built-Up Area: Gravesend
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gravesend St George
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
In the entry for ROYAL PIER ROAD
1/35 (north side)
St Andrew's Waterside Chapel
The address shall be amended to read ROYAL PIER ROAD
St Andrew's Arts Centre
The grade shall be amended to read II
Fart 2 of the entry should be amended to read:
1870-71; GE Street architect. Built originally as a mission chapel for seamen
and known as St Andrew's Waterside Chapel. Rectangular plan. Gothic style.
Built of ragstone with Bath stone dressings. Slate roof. Former carthex at west
with lean-to roof behind a parapet; central doorway with segmental Gothic arch;
a flat-arched three-light window to each side of door. Under the west gable are
five stepped lancets; a large stone bellcote rises from the apex of the gable.
Three lancet windows in side elevation. At East end there is a three-light plate
traceried window. Inside vaulted roof lined with pine boarding with moulded ribs;
coved cornice; stained glass windows. The former mission chapel hass been converted
to an Arts Centre.
See St Andrew's Waterside Church, a Souvenir History; See E C Gunkel, St Andrew's
Gravesend, Kent County Library Local History Pamphlet No 2.
5277 ROYAL PIER ROAD
TQ 6474 SE 1/35
1870-71. G E Street architect. Built originally as a mission chapel for seamen.
Rectangular plan. Gothic style. Built of ragstone with bath dressings. Slate
roof. Marthex at (ritual) west with a lean-to roof behind a parapet. Central
doorway with segmental Gothic arch. 3-light mullion windows flank the door.
Under the west gable are 5 stepped lancets. A large stone bellcote rises from
the West gable. It is gabled and has buttressed sides and 3 cusped bell openings.
3 lancet windows at side. At (ritual) East end there is a 3-light plate tracery
St Andrew's Waterside Chapel and No 19 form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ6491174411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings