This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.984 / 52°59'2"N
Longitude: -1 / 0°59'59"W
OS Eastings: 467233
OS Northings: 343433
OS Grid: SK672434
Mapcode National: GBR 9JQ.S0T
Mapcode Global: WHFHZ.M806
Plus Code: 9C4XX2M2+J2
Entry Name: Shelford Manor House and Attached Wall and Pier
Listing Date: 28 November 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039570
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431198
Location: Shelford, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12
Civil Parish: Shelford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Shelford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 64 SE SHELFORD MANOR LANE
1/122 Shelford Manor
House and attached
28.11.72 wall and pier
House and attached wall and pier. Built on the site of and
incorporating masonry from Shelford Prioy, c.1600, probably by
Robert or John Smythson for the Stanhope family, burnt 1645,
rebuilt c.1678, mid C18 and C19. Ashlar, dressed coursed rubble,
some red brick and render. Hipped plain tile roof. Mid C18
ashlar entrance front with 2 red brick stacks to the left. Set
on a moulded plinth. Shallow clasping buttresses. Two and a
half storeys, 3 bays. Central doorway with part glazed door and
overlight. C19 open gabled, glass, wood and plain tile porch set
on an ashlar plinth. Either side are single glazing bar sashes
with flush wedge lintels. Above, single central oeil de boeuf
flanked by single glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds. On
the top floor are 2 ashlar mullion glazing bar casements. The
right/north side of 5 bays with cellar and single red brick
stack, has a C17 moulded blocked archway with imposts, keyblock
and panelled spandrels. To the right is a single glazing bar
sash with keystone. The 2 bays to the right have been re-fronted,
project and are individually hipped with brick dentil eaves.
Heavy first floor band which extends to the left single bay of
the south front. Cellar with 2 two light ashlar mullion openings
with flush ashlar quoin surrounds, the left opening lacks
mullion. Over are 2 three light ashlar cross casements. The
single bay to the right is set back and has no openings on this
floor. Above, single 2 light casement in flush ashlar quoin
surround with moulded dripmould over. To the right in the
projecting bays are 2 tripartite ashlar mullion casements, that
on the right being blocked. Both with flush ashlar quoin
surrounds which extend to the openings above. First and second
floor openings, probably originally larger, single openings
traversing both floors. To the right is a single 2 light ashlar
mullion casement. Above is a single small tripartite ashlar
mullion casement, to the right is a single blocked window, both
with flush ashlar quoin surrounds extending from the openings
below. On the far right is a single 2 light ashlar mullion
casement. Projecting from the right projecting bay is a brick
wall set on a plinth. This has a segmental arched doorway with
plank door and extends for about 26 metres trminating in a single
vermiculated rusticated ashlar pier with ashlar coping. South
front of 6 bays, part rendered, has a single similar blocked
archway to that of the north front. These 2 archways perhaps
originally interconnecting. Interior has on the ground floor a
c.1600 large ashlar fireplace with frieze,with cabled fluting.
Cornice over. Single similar smaller fireplace on the top floor.
Back staircase with some early C18 turned balusters. Shelford
Priory was an Augustinian priory founded c.1160-80. The house
built on this site was a garrison for the King during the civil
wars, it was burnt down in 1645 when the Parliamentarians took
it. c.1678 the family rebuilt it partly out of the ruins. The
house subsequently reduced in size and vacated by the Stanhopes.
Dickinson, W. Antiquities of the Town of Southwell, 1819.
Listing NGR: SK6723343433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings