This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3967 / 52°23'48"N
Longitude: -0.5453 / 0°32'43"W
OS Eastings: 499074
OS Northings: 278630
OS Grid: SP990786
Mapcode National: GBR FYS.LY8
Mapcode Global: VHFP1.H0KZ
Entry Name: Thrapston Bridge and Attached Causeway (That Part in Islip Civil Parish) thrapston Bridge and Attached Causeway (That Part in Thrapston Civil Parish)
Listing Date: 31 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232485
Location: Islip, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Islip
Built-Up Area: Thrapston
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Islip St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP9978 THRAPSTON BRIDGE STREET
16/153 Thrapston Bridge and attached
causeway (that part in
Item includes that part in the parish of Islip.
Bridge over River Nene. Medieval origins, partly rebuilt and widened mid/late
C18 and restored C19 and C20. Squired coursed limestone and limestone ashlar,
part restored with blue brickwork. East elevation of 9 arches. 4 arches to left
are medieval, double chamfered, with 2-centred heads; widened C18 with
semi-circular outer arches. 5 arches to centre and right are probably C18,
semi-circular, with plain string course above 4 arches to right. All arches have
orange brick dressings. 2 arches to far right have panels of blue brickwork
between. 4 cutwaters, with refuges, between centre arches. Plain parapet with
chamfered ashlar coping. West elevation is similar with panels of blue brickwork
to left and 2 cutwaters with refuges between centre arches. In 1224 Bishop Hugh
of Wells granted an indulgence to travellers contributing to the repair of the
bridge and in 1313 Bishop Dalderby granted an indulgence for the fabric of the
Chapel of St. Thomas the Martyr next to the bridge. In C14 and C15 grants were
obtained for its repair. Leland mentions a bridge of 8 arches in 1543 and a
brief for repairs mentions a bridge of 24 arches in 1664.
(V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.139).
Listing NGR: SP9907478630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings