This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.3097 / 55°18'35"N
Longitude: -1.8905 / 1°53'25"W
OS Eastings: 407050
OS Northings: 601744
OS Grid: NU070017
Mapcode National: GBR H771.JF
Mapcode Global: WHB0Q.XSYV
Entry Name: Burnfoot Power House, 70 Metres North of Burnfoot Lodge
Listing Date: 25 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042071
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236342
Location: Cartington, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Cartington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
CARTINGTON B 6344
NU 00 SE
(North side, off)
17/5 Burnfoot Power
House, 70 metres
Power house, 1883-7 for Lord Armstrong. Snecked stone with rock-faced-and-
margined quoins and dressings; red clay tile roof. Z-plan,single storey.
South elevation in 2 parts: Gable end of south-west wing (battery house) on
left has inserted boarded double doors under timber lintel; 2-light mullioned
window on left and slit in gable. Set back to right is centre block: boarded
door and pent projection to right with similar door on left return. West
elevation in 2 parts: 3-bay south-west wing on right has 3-light windows and
2 slatted ridge vents with moulded finials. Left return of wing has 2 similar
windows and slit in gable. 2-bay rear wing, set back to left, has boarded
door, 3-light window and larger slatted ridge vent; roof hipped to left.
Small extension set back on far left with similar window.
Interior: Thompson double vortex turbine and the earliest known example of
an R.E. Crompton double magnet "Trade"-type Gramme ring compound dynamo;
removed for repair at time of survey, to be re-installed spring 1987.
Historical Note: Built after creation of Nelly's Moss Lakes gave a 107-metre
head, allowing Armstrong to construct equipment giving 90 amps at 110 volts.
In 1895 a Tangye gas engine (now removed) and a Parkes dynamo were added,
virtually doubling the power output. Last used in 1945.
Listed and graded for historical interest.
Adjacent wooden shed with corrugated iron roof is not of interest.
Listing NGR: NU0705001744
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings