This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3183 / 53°19'6"N
Longitude: -0.9384 / 0°56'18"W
OS Eastings: 470816
OS Northings: 380683
OS Grid: SK708806
Mapcode National: GBR PZW2.M5
Mapcode Global: WHFG8.KVCG
Entry Name: King Edward Vi Grammar School, Original Portion Fronting London Road
Listing Date: 5 November 1976
Last Amended: 12 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240932
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Electoral Ward/Division: East Retford East
Built-Up Area: Retford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Ordsall
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/02/2013
SK 7080 4/126
LONDON ROAD (East Side)
King Edward VI Grammar School
Original portion fronting London Road
(Formerly listed as King Edward VII Grammar School
Original portion fronting London Road)
Tudor style of 1855 of 1 and 2 storeys in red brick with ashlar dressings with Welsh slate roof with ridge tile. To right, 1-storey section with 4 large mullion and transom windows of 6 lights, the upper lights arched, separated by buttresses. 2 gables in 2-storey section to right of this with 1 bay window each, 1 canted. To left, tower with dripmould, royal arms, and dated 1855 in spandrels of moulded arched entry. Above this, a 6-light mullion and transom window below a stone octagonal tower with shield ornament, 8 openings, gargoyles to cornice, and parapet with crenellations. Fish-scale slates to spire with finial. Left of tower, a 1-storey gabled section front build of 2 storeys.
King Edward VI Grammar School and wall on south west form a group.
Listing NGR: SK7081680682
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings