This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2729 / 51°16'22"N
Longitude: 1.045 / 1°2'42"E
OS Eastings: 612493
OS Northings: 157040
OS Grid: TR124570
Mapcode National: GBR TY7.11V
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.28BK
Plus Code: 9F3372FW+42
Entry Name: Tonford Manor
Listing Date: 29 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171476
Location: Thanington Without, Canterbury, Kent, CT2
Civil Parish: Thanington Without
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 THANINGTON WITHOUT TONFORD LANE
TR 15 NW 8/608 29.9.52
The remains of a fortified Cl5 house which bad 4 round towers built by Sir
Thomas Browne Controller and treasurer to King Henry VI. The licence to crenellate
was granted in 1449. This now has later timber-framed and C18 additions.
The oldest portion of the exterior is the north front. Two storeys, built
of stone rubble, flints and red brick. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows.
One window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with stone mullions now restored and
having 6 mullions and one similar window of 2 lights with the mullions missing.
At the north-west angle is a semi-circular baston, probably one of the 4 round
towers, with a red brick stringcourse and a diaper pattern of brick. At the
north-east angle are the remains of a similar bastion. Garderobes in these
towers. The original building extended further west and there are remains
of the continuation of the north wall with part of 2 similar bastions to the
west with diaper patterned brickwork. Three double mullioned windows. Behind
the north front the house is timber-framed but its west and south fronts have
been refaced with red brick in the C18. Two storeys and attic. Hipped tiled
roof with 2 dormers facing south and one dormer facing west. Stringcourse.
Six sashes 2 dormers facing south 5 sashes with glazing bars intact and
one dormer facing west. Modern gabled porch. The interior contains a roof
of chestnut with 3 harmerbeam trusses and moulded purlins and some Tudor brick
and stone fireplaces. Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon once spent 3 days
The south-west side has a C15 gatehouse built of flint with a stone arch.
Listing NGR: TR1249057040
Other nearby listed buildings