This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9783 / 51°58'41"N
Longitude: -1.3208 / 1°19'14"W
OS Eastings: 446750
OS Northings: 231306
OS Grid: SP467313
Mapcode National: GBR 7TT.WDJ
Mapcode Global: VHCWN.2J4T
Entry Name: Plough House the Steps
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Last Amended: 5 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243936
Location: Deddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Deddington
Built-Up Area: Deddington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Deddington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP4631 DEDDINGTON NEW STREET
8/210 Plough House and The Steps
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as House
[formerly The Plough Inn])
Inn, now 2 dwellings. Mid C17, incorporating late-C14/C15 features. Coursed
squared marlstone with some ashlar dressings and some wooden lintels; concrete
plain-tile roof with brick stacks. 3-unit through-passage plan, now sub-divided.
2 storeys plus attic, partly raised over a semi-basement. Left half of 4-window
front has 3-light C18/early C19 casements to both floors, except in bay one
where an inserted entrance to The Steps has necessitated a reduction to 2
lights. High chamfered plinth contains a cellar window with a moulded stone
surround and a larger window, formerly a sunken doorway. Right half also has a
moulded string which steps up over a tall 3-light casement retaining traces of a
much wider stone-mullioned window. Doorway to left is probably a C18 insertion;
earlier doorway to right, with chamfered stone surround, is now a window. First
floor has two 4-light stone-mullioned windows with labels. Steep-pitched roof
has a gable parapet to left, with projecting moulded kneelers, and has stacks to
right of bay one and to right gable. Interior: C17 spine beams at ground and
first floors with double-ovolo-mouldings; large C17 Tudor-arched stone fireplace
with ovolo moulding; early-C18 stone bolection-mould fireplace with moulded
mantel and panelled overmantel. A roof truss in The Steps, set against the left
gable, may be medieval and has a strutted post between tiebeam and collar. The
semi-basement below The Steps, approached from the cellar beneath Plough House,
is a fine 2-bay late-C14/C15 vaulted room, with deep chamfered ribs and
tiercerons springing from wall shafts with moulded octagonal bases and capitals;
the wall facing the road (now mostly below ground) has the remains of a moulded
doorway flanked by blocked traceried windows. It could be the ground floor of a
small medieval house, but might be a solar undercroft adjoining a hall, now
represented by Plough House; part of a service bay may survive in Mallards
(q.v.). The building was an inn by 1774.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p572; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p86)
Listing NGR: SP4675031306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings