This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7535 / 51°45'12"N
Longitude: -1.2513 / 1°15'4"W
OS Eastings: 451774
OS Northings: 206360
OS Grid: SP517063
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.2F7
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.86B2
Entry Name: The Queens College, West Range
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245097
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
THE QUEEN'S COLLEGE
Back (or North) Quadrangle
SP 5106 SE 9/355B 12.1.54.
The Library built in 1692-94 possibly to design of Dean Aldrich; it has been
refaced in Clipsham stone. The master mason was John Townesend, Thomas
Heughes the carpenter and the joiners Thomas Minn, senior and junior. The
eagles on the pediment, the keystones and the statues in niches on West side
were made by J Vanderstien. The ground floor had an open loggia but was
enclosed by C R Cockerell in 1843. The interior was altered in 1756 when
a plaster ceiling was made by Thomas Roberts.
Listing NGR: SP5177406363
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings