This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7563 / 51°45'22"N
Longitude: -1.2587 / 1°15'31"W
OS Eastings: 451260
OS Northings: 206665
OS Grid: SP512066
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.SP0
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.43DX
Plus Code: 9C3WQP4R+GG
Entry Name: St Johns College, North Range Including Chapel and Hall
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046649
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245128
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. ST JOHN'S COLLEGE
including Chapel and
SP 5106 NW 5/525D 12.1.54.
The Hall on West, the Chapel on East, with passageway between them. Buttery
and Kitchen on North-West of hall.
Chapel consecrated 1550. The Baylie chapel added on North-East angle, 1662-9,
refitted 1949. The whole remodelled by Edward Blore, 1843.
Hall's East part built 1502 and West bay added 16l6. The stone screen,
1743, designed by James Gibbs and built by William Townesend, was set back
to West in 1935. Chimneypiece (by William Townesend) 1731 at cost of John
Preston. Panelling, 1744. Ceiling, 1730.
West part. Built C15 with cellar below which is probably that of previous
hall of St Bernard's College, 1437. Room above Buttery, now gallery of
Hall, has C18 panelling.
Listing NGR: SP5125806662
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings