This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0831 / 52°4'59"N
Longitude: -1.4506 / 1°27'2"W
OS Eastings: 437745
OS Northings: 242893
OS Grid: SP377428
Mapcode National: GBR 6R5.635
Mapcode Global: VHBYJ.SWZY
Plus Code: 9C4W3GMX+6Q
Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 20 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046833
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244608
Location: Shenington with Alkerton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Shenington with Alkerton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shenington with Alkerton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SHENINGTON WITH ALKERTON ALKERTON
7/52 The Old Rectory and attached
Rectory, now house. Built in 1625 for Thomas Lidyat, chronologer and
cosmographer to Henry Prince of Wales. Short rear wing added in 1748.
Alterations and additions to rear in 1946 and 1973. Squared, coursed ironstone.
Steeply pitched stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Stone coped gables
with moulded kneelers. Large, partly renewed, diagonally-set stone ridge stacks
on stone bases and twin-shafted end stacks. 2-unit plan extended to L-plan by
the addition of later kitchen wing. 2 storeys plus attic. 4-window range. Front
elevation. Ground floor has a blocked doorway and two 3-light and a 2-light
stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops. Similar windows to
first floor plus a small rectangular stone framed window. Windows have lead
cames and wrought-iron casement fasteners. Ironstone quoins. Chamfered stone
plinth. Rear. Entrance off-centre to left has a cambered arched head with hood
mould and lozenge shaped label stops. Original oak plank door. Ground and first
floor both have 3-light cavetto stone mullioned windows on right. 3 rectangular
stone framed windows with hood moulds and label stops at irregular heights mark
position of original staircase now existing only from first floor to attic.
Lower wing has 2-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops.
Interior. Original plan of hall and parlour separated by central double
fireplace. Each room approximately 17 feet square. Moulded spine beams with
stop-chamfers. Moulded stone fireplace in parlour dated 1625 in spandrels. Hall
has large fireplace with arched stone head and a bread oven over 4 feet in
diameter. Fireplace in bedroom over parlour has moulded jambs and Tudor arch.
Early C18 fireplace and bread oven in kitchen. Later staircase leads from hall.
C17 stair survives from first floor to attic. Purlin roof. A notable example of
regional architecture built for one of the regions most distinguished figures,
Thomas Lydyat (1572-1646), rector of Alkerton and a greatly respected writer and
scholar in his day. Wall probably C18. Approximately 4 metres high. Finely
jointed ironstone with a stone coping.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p421; Wood-Jones, pp151-2 and pp271-3,
plates 1b and 16d; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp45 and 50; Oxfordshire Record
Society II (1920) 6)
Listing NGR: SP3774342894
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings