This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7489 / 51°44'55"N
Longitude: -1.2568 / 1°15'24"W
OS Eastings: 451404
OS Northings: 205834
OS Grid: SP514058
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.72V
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.59FN
Entry Name: 82 and 83, St Aldates Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047154
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245768
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Aldate
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ST ALDATE'S STREET
Nos 82 & 83
SP 5105 NW 12/455 12.1.54.
RCHM 152. 2 houses and shops. 1 building. C15 in origin, remodelled in
early C17. Architecturally an important house. 2-storeyed rubble with 2
timber-framed gabled attic dormers over No 82 and a gable over No 83 with
a Welsh slate roof. There is a thin-bricked central stack with diagonally
set shafts. In the centre is a passageway, the side of which on the South
is partly lined with some C15 studding, and in each house a side doorway.
No 82 has on the ground floor a modern 6 light mullion window with the remains
of the C17 cornice above it, and in the 1st floor is a C17 6-light stone
mullioned window in a moulded frame. In the 2 attic dormers are modern casement
lights but the Cl7 cills and brackets remain below them. No 83 has a ground
floor shop front and part of the original cornice; above it a 3-sided bay
window in which is a C17 5-light stone mullioned window in a moulded frame
and having return lights. The gable has moulded barge-boards. Over the central
passageway in the 1st floor is a modern 2-light casement window. At the
back in the North wall of the South wing is a C17 3-light oriel, with return
lights on a scrolled bracket. In the North boundary wall of No 83 and visible
from the south, is a blocked 2-light C17 window. Interior. RCHM p 174
b. Includes plaster ceilings which appear possibly to be early C17 but there
are on them shields of arms of Robert King, Bishop of Oxford 1546, died 1557;
some C17 panelling. In the South side of the passageway is some C15 studding.
History. As Margaret (or Mariole) Hall it belonged to Littlemore Priory;
known later as Littlemore Hall but what is now visible has no academic connection.
(Slater's Medieval Map of Oxford No 4). The whole had a major restoration
in 1965. The shop of No 83 features as the Sheep's shop in 'Through the
Nos 82 to 92 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5140405834
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings