This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7541 / 51°45'14"N
Longitude: -1.2546 / 1°15'16"W
OS Eastings: 451550
OS Northings: 206415
OS Grid: SP515064
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.TYK
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.65LN
Plus Code: 9C3WQP3W+J5
Entry Name: Bodleian Library and Schools Quadrangle Including the Divinity School and the Convocation House
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047185
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245750
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
and Schools Quadrangle
including the Divinity
School and Convocation
SP 5106 SE 9/147 12.1.54.
RCHM 1. (1) Divinity School built 1424-1490. The master-masons were Richard
Winchcombe in 1429 and Thomas Elkyn in 1439. The fan-vaulting was constructed
in 1480-3, William Orchard being the master-mason, William Byrd was paid
for the insertion of the North doorway in 1669. The upper storey was added
by 1489 as Duke Humphrey's Library; It was restored and altered 1598-1602.
The whole building was partially restored, again using Headington stone,
in 1660 and also repaired in 1701-2. (For the sculptures of the vault, see
Arch. Jnl LXXX (1914), 227.
(2) The Schools Quadrangle. The West range, built 1610-12, contains the
Arts End of the library on the upper storey and the Proscholium on the ground
floor. The other three ranges were built 1613-24, John Akroyd and John and
Michael Bently, being master-masons. Built originally in Headington freestone.
Extensive restorations made in 1878-85 in Clipsham stone to the upper storey,
pinnacles and the whole tower of the Five Orders. Further refacing of the
interior, of the quadrangle on the South made in 1949.
(3) The West cross-wing was built 1634-6 and its West window rebuilt in
1877. The upper storey forms the Selden End of the library and the lower
storey contains the Convocation House and the Chancellor's Court.
All the buildings in Radcliffe Square form a group of the highest importance
being the centre of the University of Oxford.
Listing NGR: SP5154506409
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings