This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7551 / 51°45'18"N
Longitude: -1.2534 / 1°15'12"W
OS Eastings: 451630
OS Northings: 206535
OS Grid: SP516065
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.V8J
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.747V
Entry Name: 35, Holywell Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047234
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245577
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
District Council Ward: Holywell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 NE 6/194 12.1.54.
House. RCHM 198. Dated 1626. 2-storeyed roughcast rubble and timber-framing
with 3 large dormers in a stone slate roof. There is a dripmould at the
1st floor, an overhang between the dormers supported on 3 carved and enriched
grotesque brackets and a central modern red brick stack. The ground floor
is a late C18 alteration and has 2 3-light C18-19 sash windows and shutters,
the West one being a modern copy. The front doorway has a plain modern frame
with pilasters and a pediment all in wood. In the 1st floor are 2 original
4-light oriel windows with C18 wood casements, each supported by 3 carved
and enriched brackets. On these brackets of the West window are the initials
M L and A L with the date 1626 on the centre one; below those brackets on
the East are 3 wood shields, 2 having thereon a chevron between 3 roses and
the initials M L: A L and the date 1626. The 2 side dormers have C18 3-light
wood casements with sliding lights, the windows in the centre dormers being
blocked and roughcast. The dormers each have moulded bargeboards which
appear original. On the North East is a moulded stone stack with a modern
red brick shaft. At the back on the North is a staircase projection, 2 gables
and an original 2-light stone moulded and mullioned window in the 1st floor,
this elevation has recently been encased with a modern brown tile-hanging
thus disguising its original ancient state. To the North and on the East
side at the back is a 2-storeyed timber-framed rough ast wing extended C1700
and having 2 eaves - level gables. This is included in the grading. Interior:
RCHM p 180 b. Includes original panelling and fireplace; some blocked
original windows in the South wall and 2 early C18 fireplaces.
All the listed buildings on the North Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5162806534
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings