This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7522 / 51°45'7"N
Longitude: -1.2555 / 1°15'19"W
OS Eastings: 451492
OS Northings: 206203
OS Grid: SP514062
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.1DN
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.6744
Entry Name: 118, High Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245532
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Michael and St Martin and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 SW 8/338 12.1.54.
House and shop. RCHM 71. Probably C16 in origin with a 3-storeyed Cl9
refronting of stuccoed timber-framing with a moulded eaves cornice and parapet.
There are cellars. The 1st and 2nd floors each have 2-light windows with
casements below the transoms, the upper lights above the transoms having
semi-circular heads; all are in moulded wood frames with cornices. The western
window in the 1st floor has 3 lights in a projecting bay. At the back on
South are two cement-faced gables which may be of the lst house. The
interior has some C17 panelling on the ground and 1st floors. This was discovered
in 1970 to hide a very fine late C16 wall-painting in the rear upper room.
Downstairs is a C16 fireplace. The whole extensively restored 1970-1 and new
All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5149406198
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings