This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7549 / 51°45'17"N
Longitude: -1.2492 / 1°14'57"W
OS Eastings: 451918
OS Northings: 206508
OS Grid: SP519065
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.WH2
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.95F1
Entry Name: 1, Holywell Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245545
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 NE 6/224 12.1.54.
House. Probaly re-cased late in Cl8; the earlier building may be Cl7, judging
from East wall. 3-storeyed stuccoed rubble on an ashlar base with cellars.
The dressings are also of ashlar. As a centre-piece in the ground and lst
floors is a front doorway in stucco with coved imposts and a semi-circular
arch, over which is a moulded stone bracketed hood. Above this is a slightly projection
projecting stone moulded frame to a sash window with a pediment and scrolled
consoles to the architrave. There is plain coping at the top of the parapet.
Modern brick stacks. 5 sash windows with glazing bars in stone frames, architraves
and cills. For drawing made in 1822 by J C Buckler shewing the then exterior,
see Bodl M S Don a. 3 II. 3l.
All the listed buidings on the North Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5191806508
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings