This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7515 / 51°45'5"N
Longitude: -1.2477 / 1°14'51"W
OS Eastings: 452027
OS Northings: 206135
OS Grid: SP520061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.3CS
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.B77M
Entry Name: The Daubeny Laboratory the Manley Laboratory the Vines Wing the West Block
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245499
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The west block
SP 5206 SW 10/424 l2.l.54. west block
The West Block retains in its centre the western-most orangery, originally
of one storey and built by Townesend in 1733-5; it was later raised by one
storey (? c.186l). To the east and west of this original nucleus were built
the Vines Wing, the Daubeny Laboratory and the Manley Laboratory. The whole
South elevation now shews a homogeneous whole (and has been graded II to
preserve the Townesend part in particular) but the frontage is broken by
(a) The Vines Wing of 1910. 2-storeyed ashlar on the South in style similar
to the Townesend building. On the North elevation is a moulded band at the
lst floor, moulded cornice and a small parapet. 3 1st floor sash windows
with rusticated keystones and plain recessed reveals; below each is a rusticated
rectangular raised panel. The West part breaks forward and has a plain doorway
with 2 sash windows on each side, and in the 1st floor is a 3-light sash
window in a recessed frame with a rusticated keystone.
(b) The Daubeny Laboratory built in 1848, has as its nucleus in the centre,
the western most one-storeyed orangery built by Townesend. The south elevation
follows Townesend's design and consists of two storeyed ashlar with a moulded
cornice at the 1st floor and a parapet with a moulded cornice below it.
At the 1st floor level are rectangular rusticated panels. The North elevation
is of 2-storeyed ashlar and a parapet. 5 sash windows, the centre 3 breaking
forward in plain reveals with rusticated keystones below each window in the
1st floor are rectangular rusticated panels.
(c) The Manlev Laboratory, 1902. The South elevation follows the other
two ranges on the east; the 1st floor was added in 1932. The North elevation
is 2-storeyed plain ashlar with a moulded band at the 1st floor, moulded
eaves cornice, small parapet and 2-light casement windows.
All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5202706135
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings