This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7543 / 51°45'15"N
Longitude: -1.255 / 1°15'18"W
OS Eastings: 451521
OS Northings: 206443
OS Grid: SP515064
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.TTL
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.65DG
Entry Name: The Sheldonian Theatre
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047350
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245362
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Michael and St Martin and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. BROAD STREET
The Sheldonian Theatre
SP 5106 SE 9/148 12.1.54.
RCHM 2. Built in 1664-69 at the cost of Archbishop Seldon to the designs
of Wren. Thomas Robinson was master-mason with Arthur Frogley, master-
carpenter. The stone used came from Headington (the ground storeys,) Burford
and Barrington, while the upper stages were built in Taynton Stone. The whole
South elevation is in original Barrington stone in the upper stage with Windrud
stone in the lower stage. The upper stage of the semi- circular North elevation
was refaced in Bath stone, probably in 1838, and since partly refaced in
Clipsham stone. The cornices and balustrades have also been repaired in
Clipsham stone at various times. The originai stone-carving was by William
Byrd and the wood-work by William and Richard Clere. The ceiling was painted
by Robert Streater; an early example of English illusionist decoration.
Exeter College, The Old Ashmolean Building, The Sheldonian Theatre and The
Old Clarendon Building form a group with The Indian Institute, Catte Street.
Listing NGR: SP5151906448
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings