History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Brewhouse with Entrance Screen woodperry House

A Grade I Listed Building in Stanton St. John, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7896 / 51°47'22"N

Longitude: -1.1676 / 1°10'3"W

OS Eastings: 457510

OS Northings: 210430

OS Grid: SP575104

Mapcode National: GBR 8YN.RMN

Mapcode Global: VHCXP.Q83Y

Plus Code: 9C3WQRQJ+RX

Entry Name: The Old Brewhouse with Entrance Screen woodperry House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 5 June 1985

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047582

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246695

Location: Stanton St. John, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanton St. John

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanton St John

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in


2/175 Woodperry House and The Old
18/07/63 Brewhouse with entrance screen
(formerly listed as Woodperry
House with garden and entrance
gates and screens)

Country house. 1728-31, for John Morse by William King, mason, possibly to
designs by William Townesend of Oxford; extended 1880 by F. Cobb of Oxford.
Limestone ashlar; Welsh-slate and old plain-tile roofs, Double-depth plan with
linked pavilions. 2 storeys plus attics and semi-basement. 5-window front, with
rusticated clasping pilasters, storey-bands and plain segmental-headed
architraves, breaks forward in the centre bays below a heavy triangular
pediment, containing a blind window, which is flanked by a parapet with recessed
panels. The central doorway, with 8-panel double-leaf doors, has a stone
pedimented canopy on Tuscan columns, added later, and a broad flight of steps.
Slate hipped roof has pedimented roof dormers and stone stacks flanking a
central lead flat. Pedimented flanking 3-bay wings of 1880 in similar style, are
recessed behind the 5-arched single-storey quadrants which have linked imposts
and projecting keyblocks below a band and plain parapet. Right quadrant remains
an open loggia and has similar blind arcading on its rear wall, and a
cantilevered stone stair with early C18 wrought-iron balustrade. 5-window
pavilions, of one storey plus attics, facing each other across the entrance
court, have plain openings with corresponding recessed panels in the parapets;
tiled hipped roofs each have 3 pedimented roof dormers and the stables (to
right) have a wooden cupola with a clock. The early C18 wrought-iron entrance
screen, echoing the form of the quadrants and completing the enclosure of the
court, has central segmental-headed gates with scroll and repousse work, of
excellent quality in the flanking pilasters and in the elaborate overthrow which
includes Morse's monogram. The railings, returning to the pavilions, sit on a
low ashlar wall and are punctuated by further scrollwork pilasters. The rear of
the main block is identical to the front, except for the plain Tuscan doorcase;
the flanking C19 wings are only slightly recessed and break forward markedly in
the pedimented outer bays. Interior: The hall to left, which is separated from
the entrance hall by a triple-arched screen, is elaborately decorated with
fluted Ionic pilasters on fielded panelling supporting a deep entablature with
pulvinated oak-leaf frieze and modillion cornice; the contemporary marble
fireplace has a carved overmantel (probably mid C18) with consoles supporting a
framed oil painting of Westminster Abbey dated 1748; 2 elaborate doorcases have
eared architraves and segmental pediments. The ceiling of the entrance hall and
the soffit of the stair rising in it are even more richly carved with elaborate
geometrical panelling. The stair has a ramped and wreathed handrail, 3 carved
and fluted balusters per tread, and the landings are inlaid with stars; the
panelled walls have carved guilloche ornament. Of the former drawing room, now
kitchen, the enriched egg-and-dart window architraves and carved doorcase
survive; the panelling is now at Ditchley Park. Other rooms have dentil cornices
and original marble fireplaces, and the fielded panelling extends even to the
attics. The joiner was Thomas Fawsett. Stable wing contains contemporary stair,
with turned balusters, and fielded panelling. Interior of left pavilion (The Old
Brewhouse), now a separate dwelling, was not inspected.
(J. Cornforth, Country Life, Vol,CXXIX, pp.18-21 and 66-9; Buildings of England:
Oxfordshire, pp.854-5).

Listing NGR: SP5751010430

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.