This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6713 / 51°40'16"N
Longitude: -1.2912 / 1°17'28"W
OS Eastings: 449111
OS Northings: 197188
OS Grid: SU491971
Mapcode National: GBR 7YQ.4CX
Mapcode Global: VHCY6.K8R3
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 10 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250475
Location: Abingdon on Thames, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Abingdon on Thames
Built-Up Area: Abingdon
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abingdon-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
583/1/387 PARK ROAD
10-DEC-1971 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
Church, 1864-7, with minor later additions by Sir George Gilbert Scott
MATERIALS: Flint, with ashlar dressings
PLAN: Chancel, nave with north and south transepts, lower north and south aisles, west door, south porch, north vestry, church room to south of chancel (1967).
EXTERIOR: Geometrical tracery to the windows, notably east and west windows, and at ends of transepts. High west bellcote.
INTERIOR: The spacious interior is little altered, and largely retains its original fittings and layout. Slender round and octagonal arcade piers. Clerestory with quatrefoil openings. Painted C19 wooden pulpit. High altar by Harry Redfern (1911). Mural with saints on east wall by Mr. Drake of Exeter. Font (replaced 1911). Original benches to nave and north and south aisles; oak pews (1922) in chancel. Recent Lady Chapel in north aisle. Glass includes east window (Lavers and Barraud, 1873-5), south chancel (Clayton and Bell, 1882; Burliston and Grylls, late C19).
HISTORY: The church formed part of the development of this part of Abingdon by Christ's Hospital. This included Albert Park (Registered grade II), which lies opposite St. Michael's. The church was a chapel of ease to St. Helen's, Abingdon, for the poor of the Ock Street area to the south of St. Michael's. It has retained its Anglo-Catholic tradition since the later C19.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A substantial and little altered urban church by George Gilbert Scott, a leading figure in the Victorian Gothic Revival. It was - and remains - an integral part of a planned development of this part of Abingdon. The church room is not of special interest.
SOURCES: N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Berkshire (1966), 53; Notes for Visitors (2005) [available at church]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings