This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6317 / 52°37'54"N
Longitude: 1.2969 / 1°17'48"E
OS Eastings: 623207
OS Northings: 308876
OS Grid: TG232088
Mapcode National: GBR W9J.JW
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.W3RS
Entry Name: Strangers Club
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051268
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229062
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St George, Tombland
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2308 NW ELM HILL
26.2.54 Nos. 22 and 24
Former use not known, now club. C16 and later. Timber frame. Ground floor
rendered; exposed close studding with herringbone red-brick infill at first
floor. Pantiled roof. Brick chimney (rebuilt). 2 storeys with cellar to
right. First-floor jetty. 6 first-floor windows. Left carriage entrance to
Crown Alley has finely carved bressummer also bearing merchant's mark and
arms of the Mercers Company. 2 identical Tudor-style doors with ribs and
iron studs in moulded surrounds, flank two large windows which have moulded
mullions and transoms (heavily restored) of 6 and 10 leaded lights respectively.
The larger window is reputed to have been re-set from the first floor. 2 smaller
diamond - lattice C20 casements to right and left and others on first floor.
Projecting C16 timber-framed wing to rear has gable-end brick chimney, 2-centred
arch and a mullioned and transomed casement. The interior has moulded beams and
a fireplace introduced from elsewhere.
Listing NGR: TG2320708876
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings