This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8004 / 51°48'1"N
Longitude: -1.585 / 1°35'5"W
OS Eastings: 428715
OS Northings: 211390
OS Grid: SP287113
Mapcode National: GBR 5T4.23Q
Mapcode Global: VHC00.G0YM
Entry Name: Church of Saint Nicholas
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253560
Location: Asthall, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Asthall
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Asthall with Swinbrook and Widford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
17/4 Church of Saint Nicholas
Church. Romanesque origins. C13 north transept, north aisle, and chancel; C14
remodelling of north transept; restoration of c.1885 by Collier and Merrin.
Random-coursed stone rubble; stone slate roof. 3 bay nave and north aisle, north
transept, chancel and west tower. Stone porch to centre of north aisle, with
2-centred archway with hoodmould and C19 ribbed door. C19 six-panel double inner
door to 2-centre arched doorway with hoodmould having carved end stops. 3-light
stone mullion window with cusped lights to left of north aisle. Lancet to right
of north aisle. 3-light Reticulated tracery window to north end of north
transept. 3-light stone mullion window with ogee-headed lights to left of nave.
3-light stone mullion window with cusped lights to right of nave. Triple lancet
to right of chancel. 2-light Plate tracery window to centre of chancel. 2-light
stone mullion window with cusped lights to left of chancel. West end: 3-light
Geometrical tracery window to end of North aisle. West tower of 3 stages: C19
ribbed door to 2-centred arched doorway with hoodmould. 3-light
Rectilinear-tracery window to west side of second stage. 2-light
Rectilinear-tracery louvred openings to each side of third stage. Battlemented
parapet. Interior: chancel has barrel-vaulted panelled roof with painted panels.
C19 wall paintings with a dado to sanctuary of fleur-de-lys and roundels; above
dado are roundels depicting various Biblical figures. C19 encaustic tile floor
to chancel, C19 altar rail. C19 two-centred chancel arch. 2-centred arch from
chancel to north transept on half-columns. North transept has arch-braced collar
truss roof, and tomb recess of c.1350 of reclining female figure having lion to
feet with 2-centred cusped and crocketed gabled arch flanked by finials. C19
arch-braced collar truss roof to nave, with kingposts. Arcade to north aisle of
3 two-centred arches on round piers with square bases and capitals. 2-centred
arch to tower with C19 wood screen. Arch-braced collar-truss roof to north
aisle. 2-centred arch from north aisle to transept on columns with volute
capitals. Romanesque round stone font to north aisle with C19 wood cover.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, pp424-425)
Listing NGR: SP2871511390
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings