This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7321 / 51°43'55"N
Longitude: -1.6625 / 1°39'45"W
OS Eastings: 423403
OS Northings: 203764
OS Grid: SP234037
Mapcode National: GBR 5TT.6J9
Mapcode Global: VHC05.4QGJ
Entry Name: Broughton Hall the Court House
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253481
Location: Filkins and Broughton Poggs, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs
Built-Up Area: Filkins
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Broughton Poggs with Filkins
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP2203-2303 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS BROUGHTON POGGS
11/170 Broughton Hall and The Court
(Formerly listed as Broughton
Former manor house, now 2 dwellings. Central core is said to be Cl6 in origin,
altered C17-early C18; south end extended and remodelled c.1800; C20 alterations
and extensions to west side and north end. Coursed rubble limestone, the south
wing roughcast. Stone slate and Welsh slate roofs. South front, of c.1800, is of
2 storeys and 7 bays, with ashlar plinth and coped parapet over moulded string.
3-pane sashes, the upper windows square and set in moulded architrave surrounds,
possibly of Coade stone. Surround to right window is missing. Upper window in
third bay has eared surround, and half-glazed door below with large overlight to
match flanking sashes. Hipped roof. Cellar below left bays. East front has
roughcast block to left, of 3 storeys and 3 bays, with ramped parapet. This
block has large 2-light windows with chamfered stone mullions and C19-C20
sashes. C19-C20 canted bay window to ground floor right; early C19 6-panelled
door to left with flanking single lights, reeded surround, and segmental arch
over side ornamental fanlight. C20 Doric porch with flat cornice roof. To right
of this block is older wing of 2 storeys, with restored mullion windows and C20
casements. C20 3-storey tower block at right end, also with ramped parapet.
Interior: older wing has one mid C18 stone fireplace surround with keyblock and
moulded cornice, and one fireplace with re-used bolection surround. This wing
also has part of a chamfered timber wall post, mostly encased in later walling.
Drawing room has good plaster panelling and moulded modillion cornice with
rosettes. Interior otherwise much altered c20.
Listing NGR: SP2340303764
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings