This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9309 / 52°55'51"N
Longitude: -2.5916 / 2°35'29"W
OS Eastings: 360330
OS Northings: 337219
OS Grid: SJ603372
Mapcode National: GBR 7Q.MF01
Mapcode Global: WH9BW.5L5G
Entry Name: Nos. 1-6, CHURCH TERRACE
Listing Date: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260557
Location: Ightfield, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Ightfield
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Calverhall (or Corra) Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 63 NW; 6/6
Nos. 1-6 (consec.), Church Terrace
Row of almshouses. Mid-C18 with some late C20 alterations and additions.
Red brick with machine tile roof. L-plan (truncated U-plan). One
storey and attic, over basement to right. Plinth to right and parapeted
gable ends to right-hand wing with shaped stone kneelers and stone coping.
Three brick ridge stacks. 4:4:4:1 bays. Central gabled break with two
C20 two-light wooden attic casements and pairs of flanking dormers
with 2-light wooden casements. Ground-floor wooden cross windows with
painted stone cills and tumbled brick heads (second window from left
replaces former doorway - see straight joints beneath). C20 glazed
doors in third, sixth, seventh, tenth and eleventh bays from left, each
with C20 flat-roofed glazed porch. Projecting right-hand wing with
wooden cross window to ground floor and attic, and small basement opening
beneath. Carved stone coat of arms in central gable with motto and
restored stone plaque below with inscription: "TO THE MEMORY OF WILLIAM
KENLEY [or KERR?]/ .... HIS WIFE THIS BUILDING / BY HER ERECTED AND
ENDOWED / ANNO DOM 17..". Further granite plaque below, inscribed:
"TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF / JOHN PEMBERTON HEYWOOD / AND
ANNA MARIA HIS WIFE / THE ENDOWMENT OF THESE ALMSHOUSES / WAS IN ACCORDANCE
WITH HER WISHES INCURRED / IN THE YEAR 1887 BY THE SUM OF £1400".
Left-hand return front of right-hand wing with evidence of blocked former
doorway (see straight joints). Right-hand return front: pair of gabled
eaves dormers with 2-light C20 wooden casements. Pair of ground-floor
cross windows (left-hand one formerly a door - see straight joints beneath)
flanking C20 glazed door. Segmental-headed basement door to left.
Outshut at rear with C20 flat-roofed additions. Interiors not inspected.
Cranage states that the almshouses were founded in 1724 by Katherine
Kerr. The present buildings may date from that time but the inscription
was partly illegible at the time of survey (October 1986).
The corresponding left-hand wing was demolished when the Church of the Holy Trinity
(q.v.) was rebuilt, attached to the north-west, in 1872 and 1878 to
the designs of William Eden Nesfield. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural
Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p. 668.
Listing NGR: SJ6033037219
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings