This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0146 / 51°0'52"N
Longitude: -3.1028 / 3°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 322734
OS Northings: 124491
OS Grid: ST227244
Mapcode National: GBR M1.J7S1
Mapcode Global: FRA 46DF.F0Z
Entry Name: The Market House
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Last Amended: 4 July 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059989
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269839
Location: Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA1
District: Taunton Deane
Town: Taunton Deane
Electoral Ward/Division: Taunton Manor and Wilton
Built-Up Area: Taunton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
1. THE PARADE
(in centre of Fore Street)
The Market House (formerly
listed as Market Buildings)
ST 2224 SE 11/13 4.6.52.
1770-72 by Copleston Warre Bampfylde, an amateur architect. Radically altered
in 1932 by H S W Stone. Centre block of 2 storeys plus attic and basement, originally
flanked by one storey arcaded open markets. New 2 storey wings added in 1932.
Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Pediment added to north front. Sill
band and string course under lst floor windows. 5 windows, sashes with glazing
bars. Central lst floor window has architrave surround and pediment on consoles.
Balustraded apron linked below to a rusticated round-headed doorway with cornice
on volutes. Semi-circular fanlight and 4-panel door. Wrought-iron spiked railings
flank doorway. Good building in key position.
No 1A Billet Street, No 66 the County Hotel the Brendon Bar and No ¨8¨ East Street,
form an important group with the listed buildings in Cheapside, Fore Street and the
Listing NGR: ST2273524495
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings