History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bishop's Hull, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0172 / 51°1'1"N

Longitude: -3.1339 / 3°8'1"W

OS Eastings: 320561

OS Northings: 124813

OS Grid: ST205248

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.JCVD

Mapcode Global: FRA 46BF.6YG

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 2 February 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060535

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270512

Location: Bishop's Hull, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA1

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Bishop's Hull

Built-Up Area: Taunton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


13/5 Manor House



Manor house. Dated 1586, mid C19 addition and internal alterations, restored 1901. Roughcast over rubble, quoins,
chamfered plinth, coped verges, slate roofs, stone stacks rising on right return, brick stacks gable ends. E-plan
facing South with small C19 addition on West front, a long service wing in North East corner. Two and a half storeys,
symmetrical front, ovolo moulded mullions, gabled central 4 storey porch, coped verges, kneelers, 3-light mullioned
windows under hood moulds, gabled 3-light dormers flanking porch with 4-light mullioned and transomed windows below,
all with hoodmoulds, two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows in re-entrant angles, gable ends lit by paired lights
under single hoodmoulds. Entrance through semi-circular moulded opening in ashlar Has stone porch, fluted Ionic columns
on low plinths with dentil moulded cornice and date 1586 in keystone of arch. Above square plaque with scalloped frame
containing the coat of arms of George Farewell. Plastered ceiling, round headed arch opening, moulded jambs, decorative
spandrels and outstanding early C17 door. Single storey, irregularly shaped, top lit C19 addition on West front with
3-light Tudor arch headed casements and C19 door; long East front with two gabled dormers, stone stacks rising between
and C17 style moulded door; long brick service wing to North with some early C19 leaded iron casements. Interior:
extensively altered C19 and early/mid C20, and contains few original features apart from a couple of small fireplaces,
some plasterwork details in first floor room, and original roof, an unusual combination of tie beams and arch braced
rafters. C19 ribbed plaster ceilings in billiard room. C16 extension and in another room panelling imported C19, plank
and muntin screen with painted arch doorway imported mid C20. Externally the building appears much as it was when built
with a very fine door and some of the earliest ovolo moulded mullioned windows in the West Country. In poor condition
at time of survey (March 1984). (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, May 1981; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 50, 1912).

Listing NGR: ST2056124813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.