This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1917 / 52°11'30"N
Longitude: -2.225 / 2°13'29"W
OS Eastings: 384718
OS Northings: 254855
OS Grid: SO847548
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.G9R
Mapcode Global: VH92T.D53N
Entry Name: Warmstrey Court
Listing Date: 5 April 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488552
Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester St Nicholas and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO8454NE BRIDGE STREET
620-1/16/68 (South East side)
05/04/71 Nos.5-13 (Consecutive)
Includes: 1, 2 & 3 Warmstrey Court QUAY STREET.
Includes: No.2 QUAY STREET.
Terrace of 12 houses, now flats, house and shop. Numbered right
to left, described left to right. Probably c1771-99 in 2 stages
of build with later alterations including probably mid-late C19
shop front to left and conversion to flats with rebuilding to
ground floor 1981-3. Possibly by John Gwynn of Shrewsbury,
architect of Worcester Bridge (qv). Brownish-red brick in Flemish
bond with ashlar plinth, first-floor band and entablature, mainly
timber doorcases; 2 houses at right have stucco to ground floor
and red gauged brick arches; slate roofs, hipped to left, tall
brick party-wall stacks with oversailing courses and pots.
PLAN: Terrace occupies one entire side of sloping street and is
canted to left end to follow angle of street; mainly 3 windows
each with side stairhalls. 3 storeys + attics, with
3-lower-storey range at left, 3:24:7 first-floor windows. Stucco
detailing: horizontal rustication to ground floor at right.
Continuous chamfered plinth; first-floor sill band; main range
has frieze and cornice, range at right has low, coped parapet;
all stepped to follow slope of street. 6/6 sashes in plain
reveals and with flat arches of gauged brick throughout, except
those to ground floor at right have flat chanelled arches and
keystones; 2 first-floor windows to No.13 on splayed angle are
painted; first-floor windows to No.10 have cast-iron scrolled
balconettes. To left angle a shop front with painted brick
plinth, plate-glass windows canted in to part-glazed entrance
with lower panel, frieze and fascia with dentil cornice.
Otherwise entrances to main range have steps to 6-panel doors
with fanlights in panelled reveals and with 3/4 engaged Doric
doorcases with open pediments (mainly renewed); 2 entrances at
right are stuccoed and have 6-panel doors (upper panels raised
and fielded, lower panels flush), in architraves with fluted
Doric pilasters, frieze and pediment. Flat-roofed attic dormers
have 3/6 sashes where original. Return to Quay Street: 3-lower
storeys, 2 first-floor windows. Ground floor has 3/6 sash and 8/8
sash, both in near-flush frames and with cambered arches.
Otherwise replacement windows all under cambered arches. Entrance
a 6-raised-and-fielded-panel door in timber doorcase with frieze
and cornice. Rear: mainly 6/6 sashes with elliptical arches.
Attics have 3/3 and 6/6 sashes.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the development of this and the terrace opposite
(Nos 14-43 consecutive (qv)) seems to coincide with the erection
of Worcester Bridge (qv), from which Bridge Street commences,
built 1771-80 by architect John Gwynn. During the C19 these
houses were converted to shops with flats over, the shop fronts
were from a variety of dates; the terrace was brought back to
domestic occupation as flats in the 1980s. No 2 was totally
demolished in 1981-3, Nos 3 and 4 (now Nos 1-3 Warmstrey Court)
retaining their C18 facades. Forms a good group with terrace to
west side of Bridge Street, John Gwynn House (qv), both forming a
visual approach to listed buildings in Broad Street (qv) to north
and grouping with Worcester Bridge (qv) to south.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings