This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1982 / 52°11'53"N
Longitude: -2.2268 / 2°13'36"W
OS Eastings: 384596
OS Northings: 255571
OS Grid: SO845555
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.1V3
Mapcode Global: VH92T.C04Q
Entry Name: 14 and 15, Britannia Square
Listing Date: 22 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063931
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488562
Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester St George with St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO8455NE BRITANNIA SQUARE
620-1/8/79 (South side)
22/5/54 Nos.14 AND 15
2 semi-detached houses but adjoining terrace [Nos.10-13 (qv)] to
left. c1820 with later additions and alterations. Painted stucco
over brick; concealed slate roof; stuccoed party-wall stack with
oversailing detail and pots; brick stack similarly terminated to
rear roof slope. Double-depth plan with entrances at extreme left
and right of facade. 3 storeys. 4 (2:2) first-floor windows.
Stucco detailing includes half-height pilasters to ends and
centre rising from band below first-floor window sills; frieze,
cornice and parapet with coping; moulded architrave to entrances.
Ground-floor windows are 8/8, first-floor 6/6 and second-floor
3/6; all in plain reveals with sills. 3 roll-edged steps to
entrance, 6-panel door, bottom pair flush-beaded, upper panels
raised and fielded with bolection moulding; Gothic pattern
fanlight. Right return elevation is unpainted brick.
Single-storey service ranges to rear.
All the listed buildings in Britannia Square (qv) form a unified
group, started in 1820 and planned around a large green in which
the main house is placed ('Springfield', qv). Compares with
similar although smaller developments in Worcester such as
Lansdowne Crescent, Lark Hill, and Rainbow Hill Terrace (qqv).
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth:
Other nearby listed buildings