This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5066 / 51°30'23"N
Longitude: -0.0191 / 0°1'8"W
OS Eastings: 537573
OS Northings: 180490
OS Grid: TQ375804
Mapcode National: GBR K4.ZTW
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.MD8D
Entry Name: Quay Walls,copings and Butresses to Import Dock and Export Dock
Listing Date: 1 July 1983
Last Amended: 1 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206451
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E14
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: Canary Wharf
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints Poplar
Church of England Diocese: London
WEST INDIA DOCKS
Isle of Dogs
Quay walls, copings an
buttresses to Import
Dock and Export Dock.
Following the Act of 1799, the West India Docks were opened in 1802, the first
and greatest of the enclosed security commercial docks, a pioneering civil
engineering design by William Jessop with Ralph Walker, that created the modern
Port of London after 1000 and set the precedent for commercial dock design.
The Import Dock is the earliest, 1800-02, followed to south by the Export
Lock of 1803-06. Totalling 54 acres and 2,600 ft long with an original impounded
south of 23 ft, the quay wall are of sophisticated brickwork having a profile and counterfort buttresses, on a gravel bed. The ashlar granite copings
have largely been renewed or concealed by jetties. The locks to the Blackwall
Basin were enlarged later in the C19 but see West Ferry Road for the
Limehouse Entrance lock to the former City Canal subsequently in the 1860s
enlarged as the present South Dock. Expenditure on works from 1800 to 1806
amounted to the vast sum of ?l.1 million. These docks with Nos 1 and 2 warehouses (qv) are now the only surviving examples of the first intensive period of London dock construction: 1800-10.
Listing NGR: TQ3757380490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings