This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9311 / 51°55'52"N
Longitude: -1.3139 / 1°18'49"W
OS Eastings: 447273
OS Northings: 226070
OS Grid: SP472260
Mapcode National: GBR 7VD.YFJ
Mapcode Global: VHCWV.5QRG
Entry Name: East Grange south Grange west Grange
Listing Date: 26 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066556
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422437
Location: Steeple Aston, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25
Civil Parish: Steeple Aston
Built-Up Area: Steeple Aston
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Steeple Aston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STEEPLE ASTON GRANGE PARK ROAD
SP4726 (South side)
8/105 South Grange, East Grange and
Large house, now 3 dwellings. Probably C18, much altered and extended c.1830 for
Thomas Davis; altered and sub-divided late C20. Coursed squared limestone with
ashlar dressings; flint with brick dressings; brick with some rendered
dressings; Stonesfield-slate, artificial stone-slate and concrete plain-tile
roofs with brick stacks. L plan with many additions. Gothick style. 2 storeys
plus attics and 3 storeys plus attics. Former main front has a central
crenellated flint porch with a wide Tudor-arched entrance, flanked by 2-storey
tower-like brick projections from the main range, which have a variety of
pointed and Tudor-style windows plus numerous reliefs and decoration. Irregular
4-window wing, facing the road, includes 2 windows with lozenge-pattern glazing
bars. Further range, parallel with and to rear of the wing, has large
Tudor-style windows and more decorative panels. Central rubble bay and the end
of the rubble return wing to right have similar parapets and decorative panels.
Interior: West Grange contains the original 2-storey entrance hall (now
horizontally divided) with a plaster ribbed vault including elaborate bosses and
corbels, and with 5 plaster roundels on the walls; architraves in hall and
drawing room include heavy egg-and-dart decoration (matched by the hall
fireplace and one panelled door), and a later-C18 Chinese-trellis pattern; fine
mid-C18 painted fireplace, with consoles and festoons, has a bolection-mould
inner surround in black marble which may be a separate early-C18 fireplace.
South Grange has egg-and-dart architraves and early-C19 plaster cornices. East
Grange has some similar architraves on doors leading off the 3-storey apsidal
stair hall, which has a cantilevered stone stair with a cast-iron balustrade;
drawing room has late-C18 architraves and a fine Rococo fireplace with a rustic
scene carved on the central panel. Thomas Davis (died 1863) was Surgeon to
William IV, and is reputed to have brought some of the decorative work from Kew
Palace; Middle Aston House (demolished 1806) has also been suggested as the
source of the fine C18 joinery,
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p23; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p787)
Listing NGR: SP4727326070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings