This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3346 / 51°20'4"N
Longitude: 0.7185 / 0°43'6"E
OS Eastings: 589464
OS Northings: 163004
OS Grid: TQ894630
Mapcode National: GBR QS1.8GP
Mapcode Global: VHKJL.DQP9
Entry Name: Sittingbourne Adult Studies College
Listing Date: 11 July 1987
Last Amended: 13 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175812
Location: Swale, Kent, ME10
Electoral Ward/Division: Homewood
Built-Up Area: Sittingbourne
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5282 SITTINGBOURNE RIDDLES ROAD
TQ 86 SE 8/170 Sittingbourne Adult
School and integral headmaster's house, in use as an adult studies establishment.
Built in 1878 as Borden Grammar School. Stock brick with limestone dressings.
Red clay plain tile roof with moulded ridge tiles and stone coped gable ends
with finials. The tall brick shafts of the chimney-stacks have stone cornices
with gargoyle-like features at the corners.
Plan: Large school and integral headmaster's house in Gothic style. The main
central range contains a hall rising through 2 storeys with dormitories in the
attic above which continue over the 2 storey range to the left (north west)
and over the wing to the rear left. There are single storey school reoms
projecting to the left at the front in staggered ranges. At the right hand
(south east) end a cross-wing contains the headmaster's house at the front and
a service range at the back which encloses a small back yard. In circa mid
to late C20 a single storey extension was built infilling the space between
the 2 rear wings.
Exterior: Asymmetrical south west front of 3 storeys, 1 and 2 storeys and attic
and single storeyed bands of stone at window sill and impost levels. Former
headmaster's house on the right is a 3 storey projecting gable-ended wing with
grouped lancet windows with cusped heads under hoodmoulds, the second floor
window in the gable has plate tracery with trefoil piercing under a pointed
arch. On the ground floor a single storey bay with 5 cusped lancets between
a buttress on the right and an integral porch on the left, its trefoil-headed
doorway having carved spandrels. Set back to the left of the headmaster's house
the main range of 4:3:4 bays, the gabled centre is advanced slightly and has
large 3 and 5-light mullion-transom windows rising through 2 storeys with cusp-
headed lights and depressed 2-centred arch hoodmoulds. In the gable a clock
within a rose window (maker Gillett and Bland of Croydon 1878). To the left
and right of the centre there are Gothic windows, 1-light on the ground floor,
2-light on the first floor and smaller attic windows above continuing across
below the central gable. At left and right ends of main range gabled portals
with double chamfered 2-centred arches. The central gable is flanked by 2 tall
stacks and gabled wooden ventilators in the roof. Projecting on the left,school
rooms in single storey staggered ranges with gable ends facing the front each
with a 2-centred arch tympanum over the end window. The rear (north east) has
projecting gable-ended wings to left and right and at centre large 3 and 5-light
windows and gabled ventilators in the roof above with a gabled bellcote above
them at the centre. Between the 2 rear wings the space has been infilled with
a C20 single storey extension.
Interior: Plain institutional character with some alterations for its various
uses since it ceased to be a school but the large central hall has 2 lateral
fireplaces (curiously situated under the large windows) of Gothic design each
with a frieze of quatrefoils containing initials WB (William Barrow) and cast-iron grate with a blue and white tile surround. In the dormitories the roof is partly exposed showing the trusses braced with iron tie-rods.
History: The school was built in 1878 as Borden Grammar School for boys with
money from the 'Barrow Charity'. William Barrow died in 1707 leaving an estate
of £12,000 to be distributed among the poor of Bowden, a village near
Sittingbourne. In circa 1930 it was occupied by the Kent Farm Institute until
the 1960s when it was used for teacher training and in 1979 it became the
Sittingbourne Adult Studies College.
Listing NGR: TQ8946463004
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings