This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4855 / 51°29'7"N
Longitude: -0.0248 / 0°1'29"W
OS Eastings: 537240
OS Northings: 178134
OS Grid: TQ372781
Mapcode National: GBR K6.4DS
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.JX7L
Entry Name: Paynes Wharf
Listing Date: 17 October 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067833
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489819
Location: Greenwich, London, SE8
Electoral Ward/Division: Evelyn
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Deptford St Nicholas and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
786/0/10154 BORTHWICK STREET
Marine boiler factory, currently used for paper storage. Front part of c.1860 in Italianate style, rear part probably 1880s, and is shown on Stanford's map of 1891. Built for J Penn and Sons marine engineers. Front part of stock brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings. River front has moulded cornice and six giant arches with rusticated keystones, moulded impost blocks and pilasters. The arches are currently boarded up but mid C20 photographs show wooden Diocletian windows above the impost blocks and brick lower sections with metal C20 shutter-fronted openings. Side elevation has two bays with cornice, pilaster and imposts block. Two cambered openings on two floors but all are blocked except for the first floor left opening with later C19 metal-framed casement. Remainder of the building also in stock brick but English bond. Side elevation of two storeys, fifteen windows, metal casements, ground floor openings blocked. The rear elevation has four painted gables with eight cambered casements and a left side hoist flanked by side windows to the first floor and there are large blocked openings to the ground floor.
HISTORY: The engine of the world's first ironclad HMS Warrior was fitted here and also the engines of the early Dreadnought battleships. Production ceased in 1911.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings