History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Diseworth, Leicestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8164 / 52°48'59"N

Longitude: -1.3282 / 1°19'41"W

OS Eastings: 445370

OS Northings: 324530

OS Grid: SK453245

Mapcode National: GBR 7HR.F05

Mapcode Global: WHDHG.KGQQ

Plus Code: 9C4WRM8C+HP

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 7 December 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358215

Location: Long Whatton and Diseworth, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Town: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Long Whatton and Diseworth

Built-Up Area: Diseworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Diseworth St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Castle Donington


SK 4424-4524
Church of St Michael

Parish church. C11-C12 in origin but substantially C13 with early C14 tower.
North porch dated 1661. C19 and C20 restorations. Rubble stone with ashlar
tower and lead roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle, north porch, chancel.
West tower is of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, 2-light traceried west
window, and wide arched single lights in double-chamfered surrounds to bell-
chamber. Broach spire-with single tier of lucarnes. Nave has some herringbone
stone work at base of north wall, a short length of moulded plinth, and a coved
cornice. Large C19 brick buttress at north east corner. North side has 2 large
arched single lights in double-chamfered surrounds, and moulded arched doorway
with inner order on shafts. North porch has coped gable and moulded arch.
South aisle has covered eaves and restored traceried windows, the west end with
2-light window, the south side with 3-light window to left and tall 2-light
window to right, the east end with another 3-light window. Both 3-light windows
have intersecting tracery. Moulded south doorway is partly infilled and has
small door. Chancel retains outline and inner splays of small Cll-Cl2 arched
single light now blocked, in north wall, and one other blocked single light with
traces of carving over arched head. South side has 2 C19 2-light traceried
windows in Decorated style, and blocked lowside window. Large 3-light east
window with cusped tracery. INTERIOR: is much restored and stripped of
plaster. Double-chamfered arches to tower, chancel and south arcade. South
arcade is of 3 bays and has octagonal piers, moulded capitals, with dogtooth
ornament, and label with carved stops. Nave roof renewed 1949, south aisle roof
1902 and chancel roof 1964. Chancel has aumbry in east wall, and arched piscina
with rebate in south wall. Fittings include a font with round bowl, possibly
Cll-Cl2, on later base with 4 filletted shafts, and a panelled pulpit and tester
dated RC 1713. By the font are fragments of wall plaster from No 31 Hall Gate,
with small incised figures. Other fittings are C19. Marble wall MEMORIALS
include a late C18 tablet to Calet Lowdhan and family, and C19 tablets to
members of the Cheslyn family. Tablet to Anne Cheslyn 1823 has relief carving
of a mourning lady leaning on a tomb.

Listing NGR: SK4537024530

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.