This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1159 / 51°6'57"N
Longitude: 0.6434 / 0°38'36"E
OS Eastings: 585111
OS Northings: 138503
OS Grid: TQ851385
Mapcode National: GBR QVG.TS9
Mapcode Global: VHJN8.36HW
Entry Name: Old Cloth Workers Hall the Old Cloth Hall
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1070982
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180177
Location: Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27
Civil Parish: Biddenden
Built-Up Area: Biddenden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
BIDDENDEN NORTH STREET
5272 (west side)
The Old Cloth Hall or
Old Cloth Workers Hall
TQ 8538 16/73 4.6.52.
This was the dwelling-place and one of the workshops of the cloth workers
who were numerous in Biddenden in the Middle Ages. Later the building was
divided into 8 houses which were separated on the ground and 1st floors but
were inter-connected in the attics. The whole is now one residence. The
main portion is C15. The east end facing the road was added or altered in
the C17. Timber-framed range with plaster infilling, the east end close-studded,
the ground floor mostly rebuilt in brick, now painted: 6 small tile hung gables,
some with carved bargeboards. Tiled roof. Casement windows, mostly with
diamond-shaped leaded panes. At the east end is a bay on the ground and 1st
floors with a window of 2 tiers of 7 lights and wooden mullions and transoms.
On the first floor below the 3 westernmost gables are similar oriel windows
of 5 lights, the westernmost one with 2 wooden brackets beneath it, the others
with a plaster cove beneath. Between the easternmost of the oriel windows
and the bay at the east end is a slight projection on the ground floor with
a sloping tiled roof and a roundheaded recess. Two storeys and attics in
gables: 8 windows facing north. The east front has one window. Its first
floor oversails on a moulded bressumer and brackets. Oversailing gable above
with the date 1672 and the initials E S (Edmund Stede). On the ground floor
is a similar bay of 7 lights and a similar oriel window above with a plaster
cove beneath it. The south front is faced with red brick on the ground floor
and tile hung above: 7 gables, some of them oversailing. Projecting bay on
1st floor beneath the easternmost gable.
Listing NGR: TQ8511738505
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings