This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1387 / 51°8'19"N
Longitude: 0.9 / 0°54'0"E
OS Eastings: 602969
OS Northings: 141714
OS Grid: TR029417
Mapcode National: GBR SY8.DCT
Mapcode Global: VHKKN.KM5X
Entry Name: Old National School st Marys Hall
Listing Date: 14 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071022
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180078
Location: Ashford, Kent, TN24
Electoral Ward/Division: Highfield
Built-Up Area: Ashford (Ashford)
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5344 CHURCH ROAD
St. Mary's Hall and No. 48
(Old National School)
TR 04 SW (029 417) 3/534
Former National School and School House. 1848; main school room extended in same style
in 1897, in memory of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. Ragstone with brick quoins;
clay plain tile roof. Single storey two room school with S.W. porch; no.48, of one
storey and attic, attached to N.E. end of school. School: front room with S.E. gable with
stone bellcote (bell removed) on corbels; roof descends low in front elevation over
four-light window to right hand and porch to left hand. Porch with moulded brick arch,
and tablet over inscribed "National School AD MDCCCXLVIII. Site given by W. Cook Esq.
Wm Gould Vicar"; brick floor; boarded roof. S.E. side elevation: further porch with
moulded brick arch; one three-light and two four-light partly leaded , windows. N.W.
brick gable with partly leaded three-light window, and single light window above.
Ragstone of N.E. elevation concealed by later lean-to and flat-roofed additions.
Interior: three bay front school room with probably original brick canopied fireplace
with segmental head and chamfered joists; contemporary cupboard on moulded corbels to
right hand. Stopped and chamfered arch braced trusses. Similar trusses to rear 7 bay
school room with wainscot boarding to walls, boarded doors partly with pointed heads and
diagonally placed brick fireplace with segmental head and chamfered jambs. Wooden board
recording 1897 extension. No. 48: front and rear gables with segmental brick heads to
windows, one above and below in front and one above at rear; pointed brick arch on left
hand in rear elevation; N.E. side elevation with two two-light windows in brick segmental
heads both above and below, the upper windows set in attic gables. Interior retains
C19 doors, cupboard doors, pilastered fireplace surround to first floor; chamfered newels
to stair, set within C19 plan.
Listing NGR: TR0296941714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings