History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stacksteads Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Stacksteads, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6927 / 53°41'33"N

Longitude: -2.2207 / 2°13'14"W

OS Eastings: 385526

OS Northings: 421825

OS Grid: SD855218

Mapcode National: GBR DTYR.10

Mapcode Global: WHB8H.VFQZ

Entry Name: Stacksteads Mill

Listing Date: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072832

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185626

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, OL13

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Stacksteads

Built-Up Area: Bacup

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Tunstead Holy Trinity with Bacup St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Stubbins

Listing Text

SD 82 SE, 7/49

BACUP,
NEWCHURCH ROAD,
Stacksteads Mill

II

Cotton spinning mill, dated 1833 on keystone of original entrance
at north-west corner (now enclosed); now shoe factory. Watershot
coursed sandstone blocks, stone slate roof with ridge ventilators,
some skylights on south side. Rectangular plan of 11x3 windows
with 3x2 extension at east end, former engine house at west end
(weaving sheds beyond this, modern office block at east end, and
extension at south-west corner, are not included in the item).
Four and one-half storeys; tall windows of diminishing height, all with
straight sills and heads and altered glazing, double loading doors in
fifth bay of top floor; triple gutter brackets. At north-west corner,
forward extension to gabled engine house has large round-headed
wagon-entrance arch, a window above this, and re-entrant wall has clock face
at first floor. INTERIOR: former entrance door at right end of ground
floor is round-headed, has fanlight with radiating glazing bars,
and keystone dated "1833"; stone staircase at west end; 10-bay
workrooms with double rows of slim iron columns supporting wooden beams
in iron shoes, but engine house of fireproof construction. History:
built by the brothers Robert and John Munn.


Listing NGR: SD8552621825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.