History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leyland, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6888 / 53°41'19"N

Longitude: -2.6963 / 2°41'46"W

OS Eastings: 354111

OS Northings: 421591

OS Grid: SD541215

Mapcode National: GBR 9TMS.1F

Mapcode Global: WH860.KJ7Z

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 26 July 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073036

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357923

Location: South Ribble, Lancashire, PR25

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble

Town: South Ribble

Electoral Ward/Division: Buckshaw & Worden

Built-Up Area: Leyland

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Leyland St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Leyland

Listing Text

SD 52SW LEYLAND CHURCH ROAD

8/17 Church of St. Andrew
26.7.1951
- II*

Church, consisting of C14 chancel, C15 west tower, and nave of 1817.
Stone, with chancel roof of stone slates, nave roof of copper sheet.
Embattled tower of 4 stages, with diagonal buttresses to the west and
angle buttresses to the east, moulded plinth; west door in low
Perpendicular arch with hoodmould, west window with C19 tracery, above
this is a small niche with moulded jambs and head, and above this again
a small roundheaded opening (similar niches and openings on north and
south sides, and on the south 6 vertically arranged illumination slits
for staircase) clockfaces on 3 sides; belfry windows on all sides, each
of 3-lights under low pointed arch; dripmould, with gargoyles on 3 sides,
has on west side carvings of a woodcock and 4-petalled flowers (Seth
Woodcock was Vicar of Leyland 1488-1516). Nave, dated 1817 on lintels of
north and south doors to 1st bay, is of 5 bays, buttressed, with an
embattled parapet, 5 tall arched windows of 3-lights with intersecting
tracery and low transom at level of internal gallery. Low chancel with
steeply pitched roof has a string from which rise 2 arched 3-light
windows with intersecting tracery, and a similar but higher east
window; and on the south side a low priest's door with moulded arch and
hoodmould, continued from the string. North side of chancel enclosed
by C19 vestry. Interior: high tower arch (the walls showing line of
former nave roof), moulded 2-centred chancel arch; ceiled modern roof;
nave galleries on both sides, supported by slim shafted iron columns, the
fronts decorated with triple cusp-headed panels; in south wall of chancel
are triple sedilia under semi-circular arches with moulded labels, jambs,
and sill, including in the same composition to the left a piscina which
has 2 floriated bowls; in north wall are a mass squint and an aumbry
(lacking doors); numerous wall tablets, mostly to members of the Baldwin
family (Vicars from 1748 to 1911). Former Farington chapel in south east
corner of nave with memorial tablets, and C18 brass candelabra.


Listing NGR: SD5411121591

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.