This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7476 / 53°44'51"N
Longitude: -2.6665 / 2°39'59"W
OS Eastings: 356141
OS Northings: 428121
OS Grid: SD561281
Mapcode National: GBR TGZ.FX
Mapcode Global: WH96Z.02HB
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074102
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358018
Location: South Ribble, Lancashire, PR5
District: South Ribble
Town: South Ribble
Electoral Ward/Division: Samlesbury & Walton
Built-Up Area: Bamber Bridge
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Walton-le-Dale St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 52NE WALTON LE DALE CHURCH BROW
5/113 Church of St. Leonard
Church; late medieval tower and chancel (the latter restored 1864) the
rest 1902-06 by John Pollard Seddon. Stone, slate roof. West tower, nave
with deep double transepts, low chancel. Perpendicular style throughout.
4-stage tower has angle buttresses, west door with moulded arch and above
this a 3 light arched window with perpendicular tracery and hoodmould,
attached octagonal clockface on west side, arched 3-light belfry louvres
with perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds on all sides; dripmould and
embattled parapet. Chancel has chamfered plinth, a 3-light arched east
window with perpendicular tracery and hoodmould, a window on each side
with 3 cusped lights under a depressed arch, and on the south side a
priests door with moulded arch and hoodmould. Between these is the
building of 1904-06: a nave of 2 bays with double transepts which are
so deep as to give the interior effectively a north-south rather than
east-west axis; externally these parts are of smoothly dressed stone,
with buttresses, embattled parapet, and 3-light windows with
perpendicular tracery. Internally, nave and transepts are lofty, with
open roof structure, ashlar walls of Runcorn sandstone, arches without
capitals; chancel arch rises to ridge of the chancel, exposing kingpost
roof trusses, and the wall above has blank Perpendicular panelling. North
wall of chancel has plaster panel with arms of Assheton family of Cuerdale
Hall (q.v.) and Downham, dated 1634; south wall has similar but undated
panel with De Hoghton arms, and various memorial tablets to the same
family. History: parochial chapel of Blackburn until 1837, first built in
C12, rebuilt 1798, with transepts added in 1816; nave and transepts
demolished and rebuilt on similar lines 1902-06, at cost of £10,383
(c. £7,500 paid by Calvert family, millowners in Walton le Dale).
(VCH Lancs; Pevsner; F. Coupe Walton le Dale, 1954; J.B. Selvey
A Pictorial History of Walton le Dale Parish Church 1971)
Listing NGR: SD5614128121
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings