This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7197 / 53°43'10"N
Longitude: -2.66 / 2°39'35"W
OS Eastings: 356543
OS Northings: 425012
OS Grid: SD565250
Mapcode National: GBR 9TVF.XB
Mapcode Global: WH96Z.3RLS
Entry Name: Church of St Saviour
Listing Date: 27 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358023
Location: South Ribble, Lancashire, PR5
District: South Ribble
Town: South Ribble
Electoral Ward/Division: Bamber Bridge East
Built-Up Area: Bamber Bridge
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Bamber Bridge St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 52NE WALTON LE DALE CHURCH ROAD
5/118 Church of St. Saviour
Church, 1817 by Edmund Sharpe,with transepts and chancel 1886 by
T.H. Myres. Stone, slate roof with red ridge tiles. Tower with spire;
nave with transepts; apsidal chancel. Romanesque style: lesenes, Lombard
frieze, round-headed lancets. Tower of 3 elements (2-stage square base,
2-stage octagonal drum, octagonal spire) with circular window at ground
floor and 3 lancets above, a band and frieze to the drum which has a
recessed belfry louvre in each face, and a splayed base to the spire.
Nave now of 5 bays, the 1st on the west side with a segmental headed door
and all others with round-headed lancets; rainwater heads dated 1817.
Transepts have bands on 2 levels, the upper rising as a hoodmould to the
heads of two pairs of round headed windows, above which is a large wheel
window; west transept has a doorway in the re-entrant, east transept has
a squire's door in Norman style; rainwater heads dated 1886. Semi-
circular apse with moulded bands, the upper rising as a hoodmould to 9
round headed windows; apse wall incorporates 3 foundation stones laid by
Mrs. Townley Parker, the Right Hon. Viscount Cranbourne, and
Mrs. G.B. Dewhurst of Oughtrington Park, all dated 17 July, 1886.
Interior: at south end is a glazed screen and a large gallery supported
by 2 iron columns with foliated surfaces, the front panelled, with Royal
Arms in centre; unusual double transept arches rising from a central
shafted column with foliated capital, the outer ends dying at a high
level; ribbed chancel ceiling; east transept has various wall tablets to
Townley Parker family.
Listing NGR: SD5654325012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings