History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Coalville, Leicestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.71 / 52°42'35"N

Longitude: -1.3796 / 1°22'46"W

OS Eastings: 442012

OS Northings: 312657

OS Grid: SK420126

Mapcode National: GBR 7K1.01M

Mapcode Global: WHDJ0.S47T

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 8 November 1949

Last Amended: 31 October 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1074361

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187880

Location: Hugglescote and Donington le Heath, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Town: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Hugglescote and Donington le Heath

Built-Up Area: Coalville

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Hugglescote St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(east side)
3/15 Donington-le-Heath

8.11.49 The Manor House
(formerly listed as
Manorhouse Farm)

House, c.1280, altered C17, restored 1966-71, of Charnwood granite rubble with
ashlar dressings, C20 timber-framed gables and Swithland slate roofs. Massive
rubble stack to rear (truncated). Main hall block of 2 storeys lies E-W with wings
projecting N at each end to form a half-H plan, and a further wing of slightly later
date extends from the NE angle. S wall contains original 1st floor entrance to
hall, holes for staircase still visible. Shallow angle buttresses (except at SE
corner and in N wing). C13 cusped lancets, restored. S, N and E walls largely
rebuilt during restoration. Ground floor fireplace C17, dates from conversion of
undercroft to kitchen, when the height of the ceiling was also raised. 1st floor
hall has C17 fireplace (fragment of stone wall bracket only remains of C13 fire-
place). 3 C17 roof trusses, one closed and 2 open. Hall separated from wings by
timber-framed partitions. Part of original plaster infilling survives by doorway to
E wing. C17 mullioned windows of 3 and 4 lights with hood bands above, inserted in
S and E walls. Window at W end of hall is single large lancet.

Listing NGR: SK4201212657

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.