This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4786 / 52°28'42"N
Longitude: -0.9213 / 0°55'16"W
OS Eastings: 473355
OS Northings: 287285
OS Grid: SP733872
Mapcode National: GBR BSB.MWG
Mapcode Global: VHDQS.ZY8T
Entry Name: Church of St Dionysius
Listing Date: 25 June 1952
Last Amended: 25 July 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074439
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189621
Location: Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16
Electoral Ward/Division: Market Harborough-Great Bowden and Arden
Built-Up Area: Market Harborough
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Market Harborough St Dionysius
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 7387 MARKET HARBOROUGH CHURCH SQUARE
911/1/1 Church of St Dionysius
Parish Church originally built as a Chapel of St Mary in Arden (qv) during the earlier part of the C13. Architectural features of present church mainly C14 and C15. The town is dominated by the early C14 grey ashlar tower with its fine crocketed brooch spire. Rest of church in coursed sandstone rubble with crenellated parapet. Buttresses. Nave and Chancel with Clerestory windows, Aisles and North and South Porches. Crocketed cross as finial at east end of both Nave and Chancel. South face of tower has large sundial.
Inside, galleries of 1836 remain. Fine achievement of Royal Arms of 1660 at West end. Good C15 timber roof was restored, in same style, in 1954. Fragments of medieval wall painting discovered in 1959 at east end of North Aisle. The Church of St Dionysius is a prominent feature of many near and distant views of the town. It is also the dominant feature of several town centre groups.
Listing NGR: SP7335587285
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings