This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3487 / 53°20'55"N
Longitude: -3.1346 / 3°8'4"W
OS Eastings: 324566
OS Northings: 384134
OS Grid: SJ245841
Mapcode National: GBR 6YKQ.59
Mapcode Global: WH76D.T3H4
Entry Name: Cattle Sheds Incorporating Smithy and Implement Shed at Dawpool Farm
Listing Date: 5 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 215660
Location: Wirral, CH61
Electoral Ward/Division: West Kirby and Thurstaston
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Thurstaston St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 28 SW
Cattle Sheds incorporating
smithy and implement shed
at Dawpool Farm.
Cattle sheds incorporating smithy and implement shed. c1865. For James Hegan.
Coursed, rock-faced red sandstone, graduated Welsh slate roofs. Irregular range of
1-storey buildings set round yard to south of 'Barn and Granary at Dawpool Farm'
(q.v.) and attached to the barn by a 2-storey link; the implement shed forms the
north-east side of the yard and beyond it projects a loose-box incorporating smithy
workshop. 4-bay loose box has port-slatted casements in ashlar surrounds having
rounded sills and chamfered quoins and lintels; smithy in additional end bay has
boarded door on left of 4-pane window; rounded kneelers, ashlar gable copings,
raised ridge with louvred side panels interspersed with glazed lights. Implement
shed, adjoining at right angles, has 4-bay opening divided by iron posts; enclosed
end bay with boarded double doors; plain roof with ashlar gable copings. Main
cattle shed is of 4 bays with 3 square-headed doorways at north-east end having
boarded doors and overlights in chamfered, quoined surrounds; part-slatted
casements in openings as before; raised ridge. The south-west end of this building
is linked by sturdy bull-pens to a row of individual pens with doorways as before
under single roof with raised ridge. The 2-storey link to the barn has open-sided
ground-floor to east beneath ashlar oculus with sill and hood flanked by small
casements. Opposite side of link has square-headed waggon entrance (on axis of main
form drive). These buildings are listed for group value as part of a planned farm
complex of which the barn/granary, dated 1862, are the most impressive element. The
cattle sheds apart, to be of same date apart from the loose box which has rubble walling of
later character facing Station Road; the implement shed may also be of same later
Listing NGR: SJ2456684134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings