This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4656 / 52°27'56"N
Longitude: -1.9087 / 1°54'31"W
OS Eastings: 406300
OS Northings: 285298
OS Grid: SP063852
Mapcode National: GBR 5YG.G1
Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.V9T6
Entry Name: 13 and 14, Charlotte Road B3
Listing Date: 27 November 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216892
Location: Birmingham, B15
Electoral Ward/Division: Edgbaston
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
No 13 and 14
SF 0685 SW 46/5 27.ll.81
Circa 1845 virtually semi-detached villas designed as a symmetrical pair.
Two storeys red brick with 3 storey tower features projecting each end. Stucco
dressings, plinth, sill bands. Low slate roofs with boxed eaves. Low hipped
roofs to towers. Chimney stacks composed of 3 or 4 narrowly arcaded brick
shafts with common cornices, one set bridging gap between houses. Three bays
each including the tower. Sash windows in stucco architraves with moulded
sills on consoles, eared architraves with cornices to those on ground floor.
On the towers the lst floor window also have cornices, their blocking courses
acting as bases to square framed 2nd floor window with miniature profiled
volutes and consoles at head to eaves. Grooved pilaster porches partially
overlapping the towers, entablatures with doubled muted consoles to cornices,
blocking courses. Four panel doors with side lights. No 13 retains 2 storey
screen wall coach house with rubber brick segmental arched doors and side
door. Stucco coping carried out from 2nd floor sill band of adjoining tower.
No 13 was the home of Joseph E Southall, an eminent Birmingham artist, and
contains painted doors and other items related to him.
Listing NGR: SP0630085298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings