This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4252 / 52°25'30"N
Longitude: -1.9333 / 1°55'59"W
OS Eastings: 404634
OS Northings: 280805
OS Grid: SP046808
Mapcode National: GBR 5SX.0H
Mapcode Global: VH9Z8.F9TN
Entry Name: The Quadrangle
Listing Date: 21 January 1970
Last Amended: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076259
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217393
Location: Birmingham, B30
Electoral Ward/Division: Bournville
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Bournville
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
MARY VALE ROAD
5104 Bournville B30
(formerly listed as
SP 0484 NE 57/5
1897 by Ewan Harper for Richard Cadbury. In the traditional form of single-storeyed
almshouses set around a spacious quadrangle. Red brick with stone dressings;
tile roof. In a Tudor style. The principal facade to Mary Vale Road with
a centrepiece of gatehouse type with flanking wings. The gatehouse 2-storeyed
with turrets left and right and a projecting porch with oriel window over.
To the left, the matron's rooms, to the right the chapel. To the road the
houses with canted bay windows beneath timber-framed gables; to the quadrangle,
the round headed entrances to the houses in pairs beneath timber-framed gables.
In the centre of the quadrangle, a shelter like that on The Green but here
rectangular in plan. Pyramidal tiled roof with gabled dormers in each side
and a lantern, all supported on wooden columns.
Listing NGR: SP0463480805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings