This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4745 / 52°28'28"N
Longitude: -1.8405 / 1°50'25"W
OS Eastings: 410932
OS Northings: 286298
OS Grid: SP109862
Mapcode National: GBR 6FB.KV
Mapcode Global: VH9Z4.12WC
Entry Name: Anglican Church of St Benedict
Listing Date: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076300
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217295
Location: Birmingham, B10
Electoral Ward/Division: Bordesley Green
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Bordesley
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
HOB MOOR ROAD B10
Anglican Church of St Benedict
SP 18 NW 8/8
Anglican Church of St Benedict. 1909. Nicol and Nicol of Birmingham. Byzantine Revival style. Thin red brick with rubbed brick and sandstone dressings; plain tile roof. Basilican plan
EXTERIOR: A substantial red-brick church with small round-headed windows throughout. The aisles and clerestorey walls are parapetted. The clerestorey has a stone cornice, with ten, two-light windows with circular light above, with a brick round headed arch. There are green inlaid crosses between the windows. The aisles have blind round arches, divided by brick buttresses, with a single round headed light to the centre. To the south aisle is the side chapel. There are two south porches and two north porches. The porch to the west end of the north aisle projects from the blind arch has a recessed chamfered brick doorway with broken triangular pediment to the gable. Between the gable and parapet pediment is a niche with a statue of St Benedict. The east end is dominated by the central bowed apse with battered buttresses; there is a corresponding baptistery projection to the west end. To either side of the east end apse are single storey vestries with stone and brick chequerwork.
INTERIOR: The five bay arcades to the interior are formed from round sandstone piers supporting round arches with moulded stone hood mould above and dentilated detailing. Above the arcade is brick walling with the clerestorey windows divided by brick corbels supporting the wooden barrel vaulted nave roof, with painted decoration. The east end is enriched by the Byzantine-style painting of the apse by Henry Holiday and depicts Christ in Glory with angels, and saints in arcading, below. The painting was executed between 1912-19. Many of the fittings have been replaced, but a marble font on a pilaster-enriched base remains, as does an elegant arcaded screen to the north aisle.
HISTORY: The Church of St Benedict was constructed in 1909 to the designs of Nicol and Nicol of Birmingham, and replaces a simple rectangular mission church. Henry Holiday painted the apse in 1912-19, towards the end of his long artistic career. Known both for his easel paintings and his designs for stained glass, Holiday was also responsible for mural schemes at Worceser College, Oxford; at Bradford and Rochdale Town Halls too. Its design reflects his direct knowledge of Byzantine art, gained through visits to Italy and Greece, and it compliments most effectively the style of the church in which it is placed. The associated St Benedict's Vicarage was also designed by Nicol and Nicol of Birmingham and erected in 1911-12; it was listed at Grade II in 1997.
SOURCES: N Pevsner and A Wedgwood, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire (2003) 205; P Cormack, 'Holiday, Henry George Alexander (1839-1927), painter and stained-glass artist' in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (2004-9)
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Church of St Benedict is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* A good example of an early C20 church by Nicol and Nicol of Birmingham in the Byzantine style
* It is a highly accomplished design with a good use of space, impressive massing combined with a very competent use of brick
* The Byzantine-style wall painting to the apse by Henry Holiday is an unusual and carefully executed scheme, created by a significant Victorian artist, which compliments the architectural style of the church
Listing NGR: SP1092786298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings