This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4878 / 52°29'15"N
Longitude: -1.9165 / 1°54'59"W
OS Eastings: 405765
OS Northings: 287762
OS Grid: SP057877
Mapcode National: GBR 5W6.Q2
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.QQPR
Entry Name: Front Range of the Birmingham Mint Facing Icknield Street, and Buildings Around the Courtyard
Listing Date: 8 July 1982
Last Amended: 17 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076314
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217321
Location: Birmingham, B18
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/02/2013
SP 08 NE 7/58
Front Range of the Birmingham Mint facing Icknield Street, and buildings around the courtyard
(Formerly listed as The Birmingham Mint)
Transferred to this site in 1860, the Birmingham Mint was the largest independent mint in the world. Built around a rectangular yard the works have a symmetrical formal elevation to the street, in an Italianate red brick style. A long range on 3 storeys of 2:5:1:5:2 bays, the end pairs and broader pedimented centre breaking forward. Hipped slate roofs. Ground floor has round headed windows recessed in arcade with ashlar impost band and keystones, rising from basement plinth and containing panelled sill zones. Entablature with projecting ashlar cornice over ground floor. Upper floors articulated by brick pilasters set on pedestals in the applied parapet, the first floor sill course broken forward over bases; panelled zones below second floor sills defined by sections of ashlar string course between the pilasters. Ashlar bed mould to main entablature with projecting ashlar eaves cornice. The centrepiece has channelled ashlar ground floor with large rounded archway, the keystone angled out as bracket to support 2 storey tripartite ashlar bow window with panelled aprons, divided by consoles on second floor; the main entablature is broken forward over the bow. The range along the street is the front range of a quadrangular plan, of which the interior faces of the courtyard have an arcaded treatment. The Mint owes its origin to a business founded by the Heaton family in 1794; by 1851 the company began minting coinage and was responsible for many important developments in minting technology. The Birmingham Mint has the longest history of any independent mint in the world.
Listing NGR: SP0574587810
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings