History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aldbury School (Hertfordshire County Council) school House

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldbury, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8029 / 51°48'10"N

Longitude: -0.6035 / 0°36'12"W

OS Eastings: 496390

OS Northings: 212506

OS Grid: SP963125

Mapcode National: GBR F4J.XZJ

Mapcode Global: VHFRQ.HYB8

Entry Name: Aldbury School (Hertfordshire County Council) school House

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078052

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355650

Location: Aldbury, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Aldbury

Built-Up Area: Aldbury

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Pitstone

Listing Text

ALDBURY STOCKS ROAD
SP 9612
(West side)
12/14 Aldbury School
- (Herts County Council)
and School House
GV II
Village School and attached School House. 1856 for Lord Brownlow, N part
and house 1878. Plum brick, house buff brick with red dressings, steep
red tiled roofs. A long, tall single-storey village school lying N-S set
back behind Chantry Cottages and having a small gabled SE porch and a
large canted bay window on S gable forming a picturesque group with the
E end of the parish church. Cast iron lattice casement windows painted
white, with margin lights to E gable of porch with terracotta dated
plaque in gable with coronated 'B' for Brownlow. Moulded labels to 3
depressed arched windows and 2-centred pointed doorways. High sidewall
chimneys. 1878 matching N extension has stepped 3-light gabled window, a
large chimney, and decorative hinges to pointed arched door. 2-storeys,
T-shaped house with lean-to porch in angle, red brick floor band and
plinth offset, panelled door and 3-light casement windows with cambered
arches. Chamfered heavy timber roof trusses exposed but interior ceiled
at collar level. Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SP9639012506

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.