History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hardwick Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eldersfield, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9927 / 51°59'33"N

Longitude: -2.2677 / 2°16'3"W

OS Eastings: 381717

OS Northings: 232730

OS Grid: SO817327

Mapcode National: GBR 0H8.3HJ

Mapcode Global: VH93R.N51Q

Entry Name: Hardwick Farmhouse

Listing Date: 28 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078234

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355183

Location: Eldersfield, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, GL19

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Eldersfield

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Eldersfield

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SO 83 SW
Hardwick Farmhouse
II* (Star)

Farmhouse, now house. Probably late C14; dated 1618 and with C19 alterations
and extensions. Timber-framed with red brick infill and red brick front.
Coursed square stone to ground floor to right. Plain-tile roof with brick
end and side stacks. Main range rebuilt C17 with late C14 cross-wing to right,
and C19 subsidiary wing projecting forward centre right. 2 storeys, attic
and cellar. 4-window range in all. Door in projecting lean-to to centre with
C20 window to left. Two 2-light casements over. Wing to centre right has
canted bay window with glazing-bar sashes and 2-light casement over. Cross-
wing has door to left and a 3-light casement on both floors. Right end has
stone ground floor and square-panel timber framing above. A massive projecting
stack, stone below, brick above, has pair of diagonally placed brick flues.
A small medieval 2-light stone window in stonework to left of this, and, to
right, a 1-light with 3-light casement over. Rear has lean-to extensions, square-
panel framing, small casements and a 2-light dormer. Interior: cross-wing
has cellar which has been brick-lined later, probably over stone, and re-used
timbers in part. Sitting room above has chamfered spine beam with deep run-
out stop, but partition beam is deeper and may be original. First floor has
moulded wall posts, one with decorative base at floor level. The fine 3-bay
roof (at present in attic) has cambered tie beams with arched braces, intermediate
collars also with arched braces, cusped windbraces and cusped kneebraces and
principals forming quatrefoils in the angles of the trusses, both main and
intermediate. Main range: kitchen, originally the C17 hall, has stone flags
and cross-beams with ogee stops. Left-end room-has chamfered spine beams with
ogee and jewel stops and open fireplace, the bressumer cut-through. Tie-beam
truss roof, one timber marked EFDC and 1618. Part of a moat remains in front
of the house and what may be earthworks to the south.

Listing NGR: SO8171732730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.